Better Cleaning Idea...

Hi all, I've been using straight silicone spray for cleaning my S-12, and it's turning out to be working great. I went out and shot 340-345 rounds today of mixed Remington, Winchester, Federal bulk junk and a lot of Wolf 00 Buck and Winchester 00 Buck. I got home and dissasembled my shotty and sprayed everything down with silicone spray. I let it sit about an hour, then proceeded to clean it normally, with lots and lots more of silicone spray involved. Once all the parts were clean, I lubed the rails and bolt carrier with Berkely reel grease (fishing stuff, Walmart) and all the contact points with the grease as well. There were a few spots I sprayed Remington oil with teflon as well. This is what I had done prior to today, and the results were fantastic. After the gun "warms up" a little, the grease melts just slightly, but holds it's form and keeps the gun lubricated excellently. The silicone seems to coat the puck and gas chamber and makes everything MUCH easier to clean. Before, I had used the Remington oil with teflon as my main lubricant, and after a hundred rounds or so, it would seem to wear out, and the bolt carrier felt like it was dragging and everything felt dry and I would have to keep spraying stuff down. With the rod and reel grease, I never had to relube it, and you could see (and feel) that it was doing a superior job of keeping things lubed up. Clean up is much easier, and there are no "super toxic" chemicals involved. Only the silicone. I get big cans of it pretty cheap at a Pamida (like wallly world) store close to me. After it soaks, the junk just falls off, and is easily wiped off. And it seems to keep the same junk from sticking when you shoot. I use a nylon bristle brush in the gas tube, and a SS Tornado brush in the barrel, and a tooth brush every where else. Life is much easier this way and cheaper, without all the toxic chemical smells. I also use the silicone to clean and lube all the Mags and drums I have. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by BronCobraJet

Good post BronCobraJet!

I have been using LSA on mine and have been pretty happy with it. LSA is a lube only, not a cleaner, and is a synthetic based grease with a lithium stearate thickener. Though it has been replaced in modern usage by CLP to a degree, it is still in the inventory. I think that it is a higher shear lube then CLP.

This is a bump to the top, because I wondered if anyone else has used the silicone spray for cleaning. I don't use anything else. All the junk in the gas tube cleans out fine, and all the gunk in the FCG are cleans out fine, with an added bonus of not sticking that well the next time around. For me anyway. I just wondered if anyone else has tried it and how it worked for them. Just let it soak a little bit and it brushes/wipes away.

Aww, you guys are not fans of using hot water and soap to clean your guns? What a shame :)

Don't get me wrong, I've used CLP, Rem Oil, Gun Blaster, Brake Parts cleaner, Carb. Cleaner, Hoppes etc. I was just cleaning my mags one day and noticed how well the silicone spray worked, so decided to try it on my gun. I hosed it down and let it sit for an hour or so, Then did the regular cleaning procedure with brushes and everything. I'm very meticulis. (sp) Once the silicone dried, the gunk fairly fell off. I used a Tornado brush in the barrel, so there couldn't be much of any fouling left in there, plus, I always end up shooting quite a few 00 Buck after all the shitty lead value priced stuff. The KA piston seemed to do a decent job of keeping the gas chamber pretty clean. I'm staring to think that all the cleaning claims are marketing hype. try this test before you go out shooting next time. Spray your puck down with silicone and the inside of the gas tube as well. let it dry and reassemble. Shoot a whole shitload thru the gun, then when you get home, see how much easier it is to clean. (you must start with a clean puck and gun in the first place). It's a shotgun, not a sniper rifle. As long as the barrel is shiny clean and the reciever free of debris, it's good to go. No need to spend mega bucks on solvent if you don't have to. I wouldn't do this to my AR15, just yet any way. I swear to God, the gunk just clumps and falls off. Even out of the dirty gas tube/chamber. Oil based shit just makes a sticky mess that is extremely difficult to get clean. IMHO. YMMV.