Saiga 223 to Galil/R4 Lookalike

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last few days browsing through this board and learned a ton about the new rifle i purchased. I found some information relating to what i had in mind for my conversion but there seemed to be a few sticking points as to the information I was looking for.

My idea was to convert, or have converted, my new Saiga 223 to resemble, at least in part, the South African R4 variant of the Israeli Galil. I'd like to do this as a gift for my father, who served in the SADF during the war in Namibia in the late 1980's, and used the R4 in combat.

r4.bmp

Some small considerations- we live in New Jersey and as such are governed by a few more restrictive rules than those in other states.

How these affect will my idea?

- The folding stock must be permanently pinned open.

- The rifle magazine limit is 15 rounds, so a conversion to actual R4 or Galil mags is out.

So, as I see it, this leaves me with the stock replacement, pistol grip conversion, fore-end replacement and front and rear sight replacement with Galil type sights.

I know that some of the work, especially the sight replacement is beyond my limited gunsmithing skills. Has anyone tried a project like this before? And does anyone know if any of the gunsmiths often recomended on the board currently offer a conversion similar to what im looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last few days browsing through this board and learned a ton about the new rifle i purchased. I found some information relating to what i had in mind for my conversion but there seemed to be a few sticking points as to the information I was looking for.

My idea was to convert, or have converted, my new Saiga 223 to resemble, at least in part, the South African R4 variant of the Israeli Galil. I'd like to do this as a gift for my father, who served in the SADF during the war in Namibia in the late 1980's, and used the R4 in combat.

r4.png

Some small considerations- we live in New Jersey and as such are governed by a few more restrictive rules than those in other states.

How these affect will my idea?

- The folding stock must be permanently pinned open.

- The rifle magazine limit is 15 rounds, so a conversion to actual R4 or Galil mags is out.

So, as I see it, this leaves me with the stock replacement, pistol grip conversion, fore-end replacement and front and rear sight replacement with Galil type sights.

I know that some of the work, especially the sight replacement is beyond my limited gunsmithing skills. Has anyone tried a project like this before? And does anyone know if any of the gunsmiths often recomended on the board currently offer a conversion similar to what im looking for?

Thanks in advance.

You can use R4 or Galil mags, but you'll have to permanently block them to 15 rounds.

Most any of the better known gunsmiths on the board can do what you want. Most of 'em have a long wait time, though.

Windows Bitmaps and internet forum software don't play well together, so I converted your bmp to a PNG image.