I feel like this is some sort of test and um why do you have radioactive swamp water ?

just looking ahead..... :smoke:

We are dropping rods in a short oldschool pump well within the month.....

and was looking into good filtration for survival situations....(Possible long term)

Sort of same topic, but off topic, I viewed the Chernoble links a few weeks back and a guy was giving tours, and they stated it would be 600 to 900 years or something before it was safe for human habitation, and they had a Russian Dr., that fed hamsters the grass and they all had deformities, yet when they were in the area, and said they could only stay for a few hours or minutes at a time depending were they were, there was all kinds of wildlife, fish, birds, wolves and elk/deer. Do all of the wild life experience radiation problems? They looked like they were flourishing. And what about the people that were/are still running the reactors right next to the one that melted down. As soon as they had the main one capped, they have continued to run the other 3 because they need the power in the area. I always kind of thought if the chit was that bad, it would kill you in a matter of days or months. The official Russian death count was like 39. The actual death count was like 300 to 500 thousand. Give or take one or two.

Edited by BronCobraJet

I recently bought the book "When Technology Fails". It has a lot of good stuff about water filtration. The primary pieces I remember right now are that after a nuclear strike, gamma radiation is the biggest issue for for the first 48 hours, after that, it quickly fades and you go out briefly if needed. Water itself stays pretty clean, it's the material in the water that becomes radioactive. So, if you filter it (a lot) as the other poster quoted, you'll have pretty good water. The issue is that, over time, the filtering material builds up radioactive until being near it will gradually mess you up more and more. After 2 weeks, you can essentially get up and leave the area with pretty simple precautions to not contaminate your living area... like having outside clothes that stay outside and keeping air and water filters clean from radioactive debris build up.

For water in general, the plant pump seemed to be a great way to make it work. You need a clear tarp that the sun can shine through. It needs to be big enough to cover a plant and a hole you dig to the side of the plants' roots. This kills the plant over days, but basically the roots draw water from the soil or you can fill the hole with water. The plant draws it in where it evaporates and you reclaim it from the tarp. This'll give you completely free and clear water though it'll eventually kill the bush/plant/shrub or whatever. Unlike all the other filter methods that will clean out some of this but not that... the plant method filters out all viruses, spores, mold, fungus, parasites, chemicals, toxins, and debris. The bigger the plant and the more water you give it, the faster evaporation will give you water. Cost is a large clear plastic sheeting. It works fastest in sunlight but works just fine at night and during weather, just a bit slower. I'll try and scan the page describing this, but no promises.

Edited by EricinMaryland