How do I mod the saiga not to take regular 74 mags

I have seen full blown conversions here by kevin and some other members my question is how do I mod the gun itself not the mag I am pretty good in metal working and welding and have the tools could someone give me info or measurements oh yeah and is there any eay to skip the feed ramp I have heard of some people not putting in a feed ramp and still having a reliable gun I think they they puddled a bump so that the bullet would hit the bump and find itself into the chamber. :super::osama::killer:

I have seen full blown conversions here by kevin and some other members my question is how do I mod the gun itself not the mag I am pretty good in metal working and welding and have the tools could someone give me info or measurements oh yeah and is there any eay to skip the feed ramp I have heard of some people not putting in a feed ramp and still having a reliable gun I think they they puddled a bump so that the bullet would hit the bump and find itself into the chamber. :super:  :osama:  :killer:

If you don't want to put a feed ramp in the guns action...

And/or, you don't want to modify the magazine (a magazine designed for a DIFFERENT cartridge, by the way) -It isn't going to work. There is not some other magic you can do to make it do so.

Bottom line:

(1) You will need a feed ramp added -one could be worked up on the mag, but not the best choice.

(2) You will need to get the mag to feed about a 1/4" higher -either via a "bump" (least desired approach) or via a replaced follower, or, mad mod to raise the follower stop.

And...

(3) The lock tab on the mag needs to be filed (at the bottom) til it latches, or, the mag latch on the action shortened to accomphlish the same (do the latter and the stock mag will be too loose).

That is ALL the choices involved, regarding what you asked.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Skip the feed ramp? It's easier to make a feed ramp and drill and tap the trunion than it is to grind out a welded bump in there. A lot of people said to use pipe, but I found it easier to take a piece of 1/2"x1/4" strap and bend it, cut it off at 1/2" and final fit it in there. Take the sanding drum on the dremel and sand it until the bolt rides over and polish it up. That whole process took about 15 - 20 minutes. You could then tack weld it instead of screwing it in.

The strap built one ends up being slightly thicker and I can use AK 74 mags without any mods to them other than fitting them to latch in and seat.

Skip the feed ramp? It's easier to make a feed ramp and drill and tap the trunion than it is to grind out a welded bump in there. A lot of people said to use pipe, but I found it easier to take a piece of 1/2"x1/4" strap and bend it, cut it off at 1/2" and final fit it in there. Take the sanding drum on the dremel and sand it until the bolt rides over and polish it up. That whole process took about 15 - 20 minutes. You could then tack weld it  instead of screwing it in.

The strap built one ends up being slightly thicker and I can use AK 74 mags without any mods to them other than fitting them to latch in and seat.

What kind of strap material wise steel plastic ? :eek:

Steel. Pipe works, but the radius isn't quite right and it will have to be bent slightly or it will squeeze down into shape when the screw is tightened down anyway. But as I said the strap made ones are thicker, the pipe ones are pretty thin by the time you get done shaping and polishing. And its easy enoug to make one from strap even without a vice.