My name is Jason, and I am currently living in Japan. Not in the military, but just as an English Teacher. Looking for a 7.62x39 for pig duty, and I am battling between a Saiga and an AR. I like the faster twist of the Saiga barrel, because it lends itself more to reloading for subsonics, but the accuracy of the AK platform has never been one of it's strongpoints, so I am kinda torn. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and hope to learn a bit here.

Jason,

Welcome to the Saiga forum. Before you buy anything you should become fully acquainted with the wealth of information on Saiga's and conversions/restorations found on the "sticky" threads here.

I am not sure if you are free to restore a Saiga to it's intended AK configuration in Japan. That's one for you to investigate.

The trigger mechanism in the stock Saiga is rough and is vastly improved through the conversion process. That is not to say every Saiga owner has changed out the trigger through conversion. Some prefer the stock weapon.

Saiga's are much cheaper than the AR platform and far more reliable in function.

As far as accuracy goes, the Saiga is reliable out to 200 to 300 yards which should be adequate for boar hunting.

For the price and performance, I don't think you can go wrong with a Saiga which is available in .223, 7.62x39, and 308 here in the US. You may have access to 30-06 as well in Japan.

Keep us posted and welcome aboard.

Hope you're looking for something to purchase once you're back in Texas. Sorry to disappoint you, but semi-automatic weapons are forbidden in Japan. Only police and military are allowed them. If you are looking for one converted to straight-pull action, you may have a little more luck, although I doubt that you will be able to obtain a license if you are not a Japanese citizen. Their licensing process is rigorous, and a license can be denied on a whim. Shotguns are supposedly easier to obtain than rifles, and air guns also require a license.

Welcome to the forum!

If you want absolute reliability. stick with the AK. If you want reasonable reliability and accuracy, get the AR.

Azrial,that is where I am. Reliability goes to the SKS or the AK, and performance to the AR. I have an SKS, but don't like the lack of scopin options for it, and it's a little big.

Irashaimase... you should check out the airsoft while you're in Japan and go hunt the chickans in the parks. My friends and I used to do that after scouts... and it was our post-junior prom activity - weird I know, but it was really fun and performs a public service. :killer: If all you're doing is research, you'll find a ton of info on this site.

Welcome to the forum!

If you want absolute reliability. stick with the AK. If you want reasonable reliability and accuracy, get the AR.

Azrial,that is where I am. Reliability goes to the SKS or the AK, and performance to the AR. I have an SKS, but don't like the lack of scopin options for it, and it's a little big.

Well to be honest, I am not much on the .223 out of any rifle on pigs. Maybe a AR in .338 Federal or one of the Tromix Big Bore ARs!

• Like 1