Does anybody know how to remove saiga sight rail?

Looking at adding some new sights to my Saiga 12, it has the rail sight on it but it sucks.  Anybody take one of rail sights  off?  If so how hard is it and what work is involved?

there is a pin at the rear that you'll need to drive out. Then you can detach the front by unscrewing the elevation adjustement wheel. After that you'll need to pound out the u shaped piece of metal that previously held the rear roll pin on the rail. On mine i had to use a cutoff wheel in a dremel tool to cut it in half before i could drive it out. That's as far as i've gotten.

At this point i have a square nub and a threaded plug at the front of the gas tube. the square nub i can just file off. The plug i'm planing on grinding down and putting a slot in it for a screwdriver. After you pound out the u shape from the rear you have a dovetail that you should be able to mount a pistol sight in...the rear sight i have doesn't seem to be a good fit so i'm still thinking about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that how this is done? Does that threaded stud just twist out?

I found trying to drive the "U" rear sight form right to left was not yielding. It worked fine when driving it from left to right though.

I guess the nub in the front just needs to be ground down.

I wouldn't remove the threaded plug on the front sight gas tube by trying to unscrew it as it goes all the way into your gas port area... and not the threaded area. Additionally, the threaded 'plug' is peened on the inside making it impossible to screw out. You're much better off just filing it down too. I would recommend tig welding one quick spont so that the plug can't rotate or come out. Most members here that have done this removal have not spot welded and have not experienced any problems.

If you remove the rail and ifyou look insid the gas tube, you'll see what I'm talking about.