a question about barrels

I'm kinda new to the gun world and ive read alot about AK's becoming very inaccurate when the barrel heats up (gets real hot) and was wandering if the saiga has the same problems also can u get them in a thicker barrel or turn it into a match grade saiga? to counteract this.if so how much would this cost and where would i go to get it done?

large amounts of barrel heat and length of heating == bad thing to any gun. The AK type of firearm isnt the most accuate thing to begin with without extreme precautions taken to the functionalities of the gun, but it is very tolerant of what one abuses it like. you can accurise them, and you can dress them up quite nicely. plus you have millions of parts that interchange with them, PLUS they are mostly cheap to buy.

as a new shooter, you should be concerned with something that you like, something that shoulders comfortably, and something that is cheap to shoot, because for you to get better you need to practice quite a lot with each gun you own. saigas are both cheap out the door, and cheap to shoot. you can do many many things to AK type firearms, almost all of which apply to most all AKM types, which a saiga is one of.

accurising an AK can run from 100 to 1000 bucks or more.

As far as I can tell, from reading about Saigas on many different websites, and from personal experience with my Saiga .308, is that the barrel is a lot thicker than on a generic AK. You standard Romanian AKs, your ASR 1s and WASR 10s all have a reletively thin barrel compared to the Saga. A thicker barrel does help with accuracy when firing continuous rounds. Saigas have some very nice improvements over standard AKs. I suggest that you invest in one, you won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...