noob question

im new here,and my saiga 12 is coming soon. I've seen a few of you have trouble with the gas ports. where are they located? Also do you clean them or open them up when when they come from the factory? Lastly if my saiga 12 has

2 ports, should i send it out right away to get the third one put in it? This gun will be skeet,bird,slug in 2 3/4 mostly. thanx

Definatly shoot it first.

If you just send it out without shooting it, you'd look pretty dumb.

When you get it put a shitload of magnum rounds through it before you doubt the gun.

These things need to be broken in. Knock the paint & steel burrs smooth & stuff. The Russians are not exactly known for their fine finishing skills.

The factory 5 round mag should be your baseline magazine. After market mags sometimes need tweaking, so when testing reliability of the shotgun, use the factory 5.

After I put 200 rounds of 2 3/4" # 6 shot & 15 3" magnums through mine it became quite dependable.

After I polished the bolt carrier & rails, it became EXTREMELY dependable.

Edit: Oh yeah. The ports are in the gas block (the part where the gas tube (top tube) connects to the barrel)

To see them, remove the gas plug & shine a light in the barrel or gas tube. They are about half way down the barrel in the top of the barrel.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. :up:

Edited by Paulyski

Definatly shoot it first.

If you just send it out without shooting it, you'd look pretty dumb.

When you get it put a shitload of magnum rounds through it before you doubt the gun.

These things need to be broken in. Knock the paint & steel burrs smooth & stuff. The Russians are not exactly known for their fine finishing skills.

The factory 5 round mag should be your baseline magazine. After market mags sometimes need tweaking, so when testing reliability of the shotgun, use the factory 5.

After I put 200 rounds of 2 3/4" # 6 shot & 15 3" magnums through mine it became quite dependable.

After I polished the bolt carrier, it became EXTREMELY dependable.

Edit: Oh yeah. The ports are in the gas block (the part where the gas tube (top tube) connects to the barrel)

To see them, remove the gas plug & shine a light in the barrel or gas tube. They are about half way down the barrel in the top of the barrel.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. :up:

Welcome:

+1 except my first 200 rounds were hi brass and slugs...

Try to stay away from the light winchester loads although winchester "super handicap" and "High Velocity BB's" seemed to work well for me during break in on setting 1.

if you decide to rebore out the gas ports, there are a lot of threds here that can help, but it's a rather hard process to explain so it'd be best if you find an older thread.. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you, but I'm literally heading out to test mine after a second time redrilling the gas holes