I'm planning a home built weapon, a semi-auto pistol using 30 carbine ammo. I'm probably going to need a barrel custom made for the project, so before I got too far ahead of myself, I wanted to ask the pros here.

How do I figure out how the thick the chamber portion of the barrel needs to be?

The chambers on my .45 and on the S12 don't look that beefy to me, but then I get to my AR and it's ridiculously thick compared to the other two. I assume that's because it uses rifle cartidges that have more pressure? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Also, I posted this here because I was looking for answers this year. :lol:

Any help at all will be appreciated.

The chamber thickness is not just caliber specific, you also need to take into account the metallurgy of the particular barrel, chrome molly or ordinance steel is stronger that mild carbon steel, and these are only 2 of many different types of steel that a barrel may be made of. Also, re-contouring a hammer forged barrel may induce warpage due to uneven internal stresses. There are many manufacturers of barrels and barrel blanks. Do an Internet search and purchase a nice blank with cut rifling. The barrel is the heart and soul of a weapon, don't cheap out there. You may also want to search for home gun smithing forums, as there is a wealth of information available just for a few mouse clicks!

Do your research and be safe, then have fun!