I bought a second hand 9mm that had already been suppressed a while ago and it got me hooked and the other day I had the chance to buy a as new .45 and I jumped at it.

I plan to have it suppressed asap but how much should I get the smith to cut it down? I live in New Zealand so no USA laws to worry about,I just want to know what is the most effective barrel length for .45acp

Does anyone have any other hints for these rifles as they are not to common down under.

Thanks

ctd

Most loads of .45 ACP stop begin to lose efficiently and acceleration at around 10-11" of barrel length. Check the results here.

I would pick the length that my pet load would stay safely below 1100 FPS, the approximate speed of sound. Say. 1050 FPS or so...

For .45 ACP in a suppressed weapon, I like 230 grain loads!

Edited by Azrial

Thanks guys

Gas giant-not to worried about my hands as even a over barrel can will extend to approx were the barrel extends to now.Sure is a nice gun,when its finished Ill update this thread with pics of both of them.

Azrial- That is a fantastic site,very helpful. And your right,the heaver the better! the goats wont know what hit them!

... Azrial- That is a fantastic site,very helpful. And your right,the heaver the better! the goats wont know what hit them!

I would even consider hand loading some 250 grains, I think that is a heavy as you can go an stay within SAMMI Max OAL of 1.275"

To me, that would be the ultimate suppressed load!

Edited by Azrial