Hornady TAP, vs V-MAX, vs A-MAX

Hornady TAP looks similar to the V-MAX (and I have never seen the A-MAX stuff).

What's the difference in the results? I think the LEOs use TAP. The prices are the same on A2GO.

Has anyone shot anything live with both? What were your results? Just wondering.

Bounce,

I'm not sure about the Amax stuff on living things, but I do know that they work great in my 50bmg for long range. We use the Tap ammo in our .223 patrol rifles and have had good results with no over penetration issues. I think that they are designed to dump all of their energy in something between 10-12 inches (.223). I have used the V-max on small game out of a .243 and .223 with spectacular results. Not want you would want if you are looking to take home some meat. All of them are very accurate in the above listed calibers that I have used to date.

I hope that this helped at least a little.

Can comment on the 308. The vmax is all about energy transfer. Low weight vmax for smaller critter evaporation (though 22 cal bullets work better on small animals), and heavier vmax bullets to immediately drop coyotes and that sized animal (deer as well, but not recommended for shoulder shots on large animals).

The amax is an accuracy built bullet that unlike many target hollowpoints will reliably expand and usually not separate. Amax penetration tends to depend much on bullet weight. Higher weights will penetrate farther and cause less disruption in the shallow portion of the wound channel. Light amax bullets tend to perform like heavy vmax bullets. Heavy amax bullets are more like typical hunting soft points, but they are more consistent in weight and shape (thus tend to be very accurate). No experience with TAP so I can't comment on that. Also, my comments are on the bullet performance, not loaded ammo.

There are lots of online sources to check out the amax wound channels in 308 weights. If you're looking to use them on deer, you might want to check out that info to get a sense of how rapidly the different bullet weights expand. Depending on the size of deer in the part of the country you're hunting, you may want to choose one bullet weight over another.