Gunfixer + undergassed S-12

I have '08 S-12 with three gas ports. It is under gassed. Out of the box it ate buck and slugs with 100% reliability but bird shot would tend to FTE and stovepipe 10%-20% of the time - at least one per mag. I broke it in with 300 rounds of 00 buck but it was still having issues with bird shot so I am fairly sure that this is not a break in issue.

I considered polishing the bolt and carrier but ultimately I decided to fix the problem by swapping out the recoil spring with a reduced power recoil spring. Since I did this it eats everything I feed it with 100% reliability.

For Christmas I got a Gunfixers Gas Plug (I love my wife). I know that these are designed for over gassed S-12s but I have always wanted the convenience of not needing tools to adjust or remove the plug.

So here is my question: Ever since swapping out the recoil spring the perfectionist in me has been unhappy with the fact that the the reduced power recoil spring is "not for use with 3" shells." This was not a huge issue because I tend to shoot 2 3/4" shells but it still bothered my sensibilities. Do you think the -1 setting on the Gunfixers would compensate enough to use 3" shells with the reduced power recoil spring?

Also, considering the under-gassed nature of my s-12, what settings would people recommend for 2 3/4" buck/slug and 2 3/4" bird shot? +1 and 2 or 2 and 3? (I know, I know... I should take it to the range and see what works, but it is snowing out and I do not know when I will be able to get to the range. I am hoping that people will have some constructive advice.)

-MS

Edited by massaiga

I have '08 S-12 with three gas ports. It is under gassed. Out of the box it ate buck and slugs with 100% reliability but bird shot would tend to FTE and stovepipe 10%-20% of the time - at least one per mag. I broke it in with 300 rounds of 00 buck but it was still having issues with bird shot so I am fairly sure that this is not a break in issue.

I considered polishing the bolt and carrier but ultimately I decided to fix the problem by swapping out the recoil spring with a reduced power recoil spring. Since I did this it eats everything I feed it with 100% reliability.

For Christmas I got a Gunfixers Gas Plug (I love my wife). I know that these are designed for over gassed S-12s but I have always wanted the convenience of not needing tools to adjust or remove the plug.

So here is my question: Ever since swapping out the recoil spring the perfectionist in me has been unhappy with the fact that the the reduced power recoil spring is "not for use with 3" shells." This was not a huge issue because I tend to shoot 2 3/4" shells but it still bothered my sensibilities. Do you think the -1 setting on the Gunfixers would compensate enough to use 3" shells with the reduced power recoil spring?

Also, considering the under-gassed nature of my s-12, what settings would people recommend for 2 3/4" buck/slug and 2 3/4" bird shot? +1 and 2 or 2 and 3? (I know, I know... I should take it to the range and see what works, but it is snowing out and I do not know when I will be able to get to the range. I am hoping that people will have some constructive advice.)

-MS

Polishing the internals might reduce friction somewhat but it is unlikely to solver your problem. If it is under gassed, the gas system must be addressed, or the perfectionist in you will never be satisfied.

You are correct that a reduced recoil spring is not the answer. If you aren't getting enough gas to begin with, a Gunfixer plug won't do the trick either.

There are a number of business members who work on S12 gas systems. I know Cadiz Gun Works does this type of work, and no doubt there are others as well.

If you are intrepid enough, you can try tackling it yourself. You will find some good information in the tech section of the forum

Good luck!

WS