Saiga 12 Question...

Hello everyone...

I have been looking into buying a Saiga 12 for quite some time now. Let me start off by saying I live in California. So hardly anyone wants to sell me one of these guns. I found a new one online for $180 cheaper than I can get it in a gun store. BUT... The guy that is selling it is a FFL and he says that the gun has German markings on it, and It was originally a 22" barrel and he had it cut down to 19" He says the barrel was cut 100% properly and retreaded and it has the factory thread protector on the barrel. I was hoping someone with a little more experience with these guns could give me some advice on this particular gun, Basically I want to know if this gun is hindered in any way because of the barrel cut and the German markings.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by vampler

Sounds a bit fishy to me. If you want a 19 inch barrel s 12 buy one from the factory, and if you want one longer than that you can get those as well, from the factory. Not saying the barrel can't be shortened and re threaded, but why buy one that someone has monkeyed with when you can get the same thing from the manufacturer. Do you stand to get a deal on that one? I've seen Cali legal s 12s advertised for around six hundred give or take a little, all you need is someone with an FFL to ship to and do a transfer. There are plenty of places you can get a legit s 12 here in Cali, try cold war shooters. Really all you need is a bullet button, then you can take your saiga wherever. Do some research and rock on. As far as the german markings go, I wouldn't worry about that unless they are swazis.

Vampler,

I can't tell ya anything from about the cut barrel and how it would act cycling the cheaper ammo. BUT I picked up one the the 22" German marked guns and it's a 3 hole version (I heard that all of the German marked ones were) and it shoots just fine out of the box. Out of a case I think I had 1 FTE, with cheap ammo. that's not bad in my book as a start.

IMO, if the price is right, and you don't mind doing a bit of tuning (if needed) then I'd say go for it. That 180 bucks you'd save would go a long ways towards a new gasfixer plug and a polishing job to help it cycle the ammo better.

there's a lot of great info on this board about all sorts of things (including barrel length and gas pressure). Just hunt around a bit and I'm sure you'll find some more info on the subject to help over come any issues you might run into.

my 2 cents,

Thanks for the advice, I stand to save a $175 if I buy the cut one, I'm going to do it. Cold war Shooters is where where I was planning on purchasing the gun from in the first place but out the door it's going to cost me close to $800.00, The one I found on the internet is going to cost me $625 out the door. I talked to the guy who was selling it and he said he has done the barrel cut on a lot of other guns and has never had a complaint. I'm just going to do it.

Cant wait....

Thanks for the advice, I stand to save $175 if I buy the cut one, I'm going to do it. Cold war Shooters is where where I was planning on purchasing the gun from in the first place but out the door it's going to cost me close to $800.00, The one I found on the internet is going to cost me $625 out the door. I talked to the guy who was selling it and he said he has done the barrel cut on a lot of other guns and has never had a complaint. I'm just going to do it.

Cant wait....

I've never seen one myself, but from what I've heard from people who have seen these German marked 22" barreled Saiga 12s firsthand, they have the same gas port setup as the 19" barreled Saiga 12s (i.e. 3 gas ports not 2 gas ports like the 24" barreled models have), so cutting the barrel down to 19" shouldn't affect its cycling ability. You'll love the Saiga 12, there is no other shotgun in the U.S. like it.

Also, in case you wanted to check it out, there was a thread back in the summer about these German marked Saiga 12s.

Edited by Frogfoot