I bought a DSA Para Congo or Para Carbine, not sure which one, a few months ago and finally had time to take it to the range.. to break it in and adjust the gas setting.. It was nice to shoot. I was using American Tactical 7.62x51, 150gr bullets, did under an inch at 50 yards..

After about the first 50 rounds I noticed that the shells weren't extracting the same way it was when I was first adjusting the gas settings.. I closed off the gas port completely and it still wasn't extracting.. So I took it back home to take it apart and clean it.. I found that the gas tube came out! There is nothing really holding the gas tube in place... there was some grease or something there.. probably to make it more air-tight.

I sent DSA an email about the problem.. Hopefully they will replace that gas tube with a longer one that runs the full length between the gas block and reciever so it will stay in place. Do you think DSA should exhange this part free of charge? I mean, this was my very first range visit with this rifle and it was the first 50 rounds shot through it.. 35-40 of those shots were after I had the gas setting done..

I did absolutely no modifications before going to the range.. All I did was give it a thorough cleaning and lubing before taking it out to shoot for the first time.. So I highly doubt this is shooter error.. but even if it were somehow my fault I would think the FAL would be more durable and last more than 50 shots before falling apart.. I don't think I'm a complete dumbass as far as taking care of my firearms and using them..

Pics:

Here's my FAL:

IMG00256.JPG

Short gas tube/cylinder:

IMG00257.JPG

Gas tube out of the gas block:

IMG00258.JPG

Closeup of the gas tube:

IMG00259.JPG

I was really happy with the way it shot while it was working.. I think I'll at least put a cheek-piece and a buttpad..

To anyone who knows FALs,

What else would I need to fix this?

I'm assuming for the most part I need:

-full length gas tube/cylinder

-wrench for the gas tube nut, yes there is one on my FAL... Are there any alternatives to the wrench that I could use or do I really need to buy that specific too?

-grease for the gas tube... Not sure what kind of grease..

... is there anything that goes between the gas tube and the gas tube nut at the reciever side?

Thanks in advance!

Very few modern built FNFAL's have full length gas tube. Keeps fouling to a minimum. The short tube, (like pictured) are welded. Must have had a bad weld. Will need to be returned for repair. Any problems with DSA is best called in. Never have heard of DSA not backing their product. Have 2 DSA built Fal's. Thousands of rounds fired. No problem after break in. Have built older kits. They have had threaded gas tubes. Short or full length. :smoke:

Very few modern built FNFAL's have full length gas tube. Keeps fouling to a minimum. The short tube, (like pictured) are welded. Must have had a bad weld. Will need to be returned for repair. Any problems with DSA is best called in. Never have heard of DSA not backing their product. Have 2 DSA built Fal's. Thousands of rounds fired. No problem after break in. Have built older kits. They have had threaded gas tubes. Short or full length. :smoke:

wow thanks! will see what they say when they get back to me!

you know.. i dont see any weld marks anywhere on the cylinder.. makes me wonder if the crud i wiped off was jb weld or some other kind of resin...

Very doubtful, I don't think they even put any cosmoline on there rifles. The gas system may have just been getting broken in.

Heres another thought for you, did you put any lube of any type on the gas system? (not advisable) and how cold was it outside? You may have just over oiled your gun and it started to freeze up. last but not least, every new gun I break in I shoot ten rounds clean and repeat for the first 100rds, always seems to work well at taking off any rough edges that didn't come off at the factory.

DSA will take care of you either way, there a great company.

you know.. i dont see any weld marks anywhere on the cylinder.. makes me wonder if the crud i wiped off was jb weld or some other kind of resin...

Very doubtful, I don't think they even put any cosmoline on there rifles. The gas system may have just been getting broken in.

Heres another thought for you, did you put any lube of any type on the gas system? (not advisable) and how cold was it outside? You may have just over oiled your gun and it started to freeze up. last but not least, every new gun I break in I shoot ten rounds clean and repeat for the first 100rds, always seems to work well at taking off any rough edges that didn't come off at the factory.

nope, i don't think i over oiled it.. for the piston i put oil on a patch and wiped on a thin layer on the piston and the spring... but thats it.. nothing else to the gas tube..

i'm in hawaii.. the temp doesnt get sub freezing where i live..

Thanks for the suggestions and the help!!! I'll be waiting for DSA to get back to me..

nope, i don't think i over oiled it.. for the piston i put oil on a patch and wiped on a thin layer on the piston and the spring... but thats it.. nothing else to the gas tube..

i'm in hawaii.. the temp doesnt get sub freezing where i live..

Thanks for the suggestions and the help!!! I'll be waiting for DSA to get back to me..

You did nothing wrong, a little extra oil won't stop a FAL.

I have three Fals and one has the Austrian soldered short gas tube this is an improvement Steyr started to soldier proof the weapon.

done properly it will never fail just send it back and DSA will take care of you..all my Fals are DSA they are the best IMO.

Often a soldier would unscrew the gas tube without removing the pin and damage the gas tube so this fixes the tube in place a great Mod.

Witness all the old G1 kits with leaky gas blocks and gas tubes this is preferred over long gas tubes usually..

That's why I said call. DSA will be pissed. Not at you, that one of their people got distracted and didn't do a good solder/weld. Cosmo is usually on long term storage weapons. Like YARP, I break in a barrel, yet this was not your fault. Had a converted S-308 that had a bad weld on the stock plate, convertor fixed without hassle. Problems arise sometimes, it's anoying, yet dealing with top notch outfits makes unforseen flaws quickly solved. :smoke:

Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nope I guess you don't get to much cold weather there. Time to visit a Saiga forum brother for a little suntan!

Bladewurk, your correct in the fact that a little oil won't stop an FAL...... However Ive seen many (my friends included) use a whole lot more than "a little extra oil" on there guns. Will it freeze up an fal? Yes all you have to do is get the bolt frozen shut as well as freeze up the internals and wala you've got a headache on your hands. To test this go to northern Michigan, freeze your ass off all day in a stand till you finally see the deer you want and then attempt to fire your weapon.......shitty but true. Two years ago I tagged a buck and my buddy missed the doe due to his internals freezing.

Thanks for all the comments! I've learned a lot from all of you!! Heh... But as far as living in Hawaii goes I'm sure thermal shock can possibly be an issue..

I got a reply from DSA and they said to call them. Talked to someone named Don.. He said to send the upper in and they will silver solder it back on.

Hmm.. now gotta look up how to remove the upper.. and since the upper is the part with the serial number and may be considered a "firearm" if I have to check if i need to do anything special to ship it..

In continuous 48 you can direct ship for repair/warranty work. I use my FFL/Smith for return do to me being gone for long periods. On Ruger SR9 recall they sent FEDEX box for shipping, and direct returned it same way. Just required an adult signature on my end. :smoke: P.S. If bought from dealer in the Islands, they should work with you. Dealer's customer service?