barrel length question

minimum shotgun legal barrel length is 18.5 inches as im not doing an sbs, so can I cut to say 16 and permanently affix a brake via a couple of plug welds. a brake of 3 inch length would get me the overall length, as its permanently affixed its now part of the barrel. Its done with ar 15s when they use the 10.5 inch barrel and xm 177 style 5.5 inch brake welded on. is this legal? Its a bit of a silly question as It would only shorten the oal of the gun a couple inches but im curious and would consider doing if its legal.Santa was good this year, the only stipulation is Im not allowed to shoot my eye out. I picked up my s12 saturday, tested sunday, already getting my orders together for the conversion, by chance a guy showed up at the range with an s12 all decked out and he let me take it for a couple mags worth of fun. talk about motivation to convert mine. the mag well was a low priority until I tried his, Its at the top of the list now.

Edited by funshootin1

good freind of the family is a class 3 smith, he can do it for me. my plan was to cut crown the bbl, and remove the threads on a tromix brake, then drill 3 holes and plug weld the brake to the barrel with my tig and clean up the welds. I think thats pretty permanent. I appreciate the info, thanks.

FWIW, minimum barrel length for a non-NFA shotgun is 18", not 18.5. Measure from the bolt face (with the bolt closed) to the end of whatever is permanently attached on the end of the barrel. Most people will leave just a bit more than 18" to avoid any problems with non-standard measuring tools.

Yes, plug welding would be an acceptable method of attachment.

Its legal as long as done by a class 3 gunsmith and permanently attatched via atf specs.

Well I would not allow a 3rd Class Gunsmith to even clean my shotgun!

If I was doing this I would just dissemble the shotgun, mod the barrel by cutting it and permanently attach the brake with pinning, weld, or high temperature solder.

People try to rap this problem up in more hoopla then it really involves.

im with ya there, I prefer to work on my own stuff, if i dont have the tools then i buy them and learn how to use em. thats with everything i do. Its too damn cold to do fab work on my trail jeep so this saiga is my winter project. thanks all.

Edited by funshootin1