Buying a Saiga

I plan on buying a 7.62 saiga from atlanticfirearms.com (if you go to their website its literally the first gun on the top left) in about 2 to 3 months. My friend is telling me that they may not be available in 3 months either because of the bankruptcy issue with Izhmash, and/or a new assault weapons ban that can pass at anytime. I don't really think it's something I need to worry about right now but what do you guys think?

I think that the commis are more worried about debt bills...oh sorry health care bills at the moment to work on an assault weapons bill. I think we will hear about any assault weapons bills before they just poof one over night. As far as the bankruptcy thing, i still am not so sure it will affect the rifle production or availability at all, but no one can honestly be sure or give a %100 true opinion on it till it happens. I think there is enough in stock piles they will still be available.

I think 2 months time is not anything to worry about if its going to take you 2 months to stick some money back to buy one. I bet you will have plenty of time to get one. If you are that worried about it ramen noodles and totinos pizzas arent that bad for 2 months(trust me) lol

Gl I hope you get your saiga.

But one can never tell. just my 2 cents.

I think that the commis are more worried about debt bills...oh sorry health care bills at the moment to work on an assault weapons bill. I think we will hear about any assault weapons bills before they just poof one over night. As far as the bankruptcy thing, i still am not so sure it will affect the rifle production or availability at all, but no one can honestly be sure or give a %100 true opinion on it till it happens. I think there is enough in stock piles they will still be available.

I think 2 months time is not anything to worry about if its going to take you 2 months to stick some money back to buy one. I bet you will have plenty of time to get one. If you are that worried about it ramen noodles and totinos pizzas arent that bad for 2 months(trust me) lol

Yeah I hear you. I'm not one to panic and speculate but I'm sure you all remember the unbelievable shortage of assault rifles when Obama took office. I just don't want to get shafted if they start getting bought up again.

Yeah I hear you. I'm not one to panic and speculate but I'm sure you all remember the unbelievable shortage of assault rifles when Obama took office. I just don't want to get shafted if they start getting bought up again.

I know what you mean, i saw it too. The shortage of ammo and weapons being bought out was nuts. But like i said, I think our wonderfull leaders are more cought up in health care right now to deal with "assault weapons", not that i dont think they will go for them. But I think you have no need to run out tomarrow and buy a saiga and starve for 2 months. I think, just imo, get more opinions but think you are fine waiting your suggested 2 months to buy one. Like i said though if you really find that cant walk away deal or are worried you will miss out. You can allways eat ramen lol.

Nothing will happen with regards to an assault weapons ban until after the 2010 elections take place. The democrats pretty much know they will lose a few seats due to the health care "reform" fiasco. They know if they even start talking about banning certain types of guns, it will only add fuel to the fire for the republicans and hurt certain blue dog democrats that are crucial to maintaining a filibuster proof majority. Aside from that, stock saiga's are considered sporting rifles so chances are they wouldn't be affected.

Ammunition; however, is always a different story. Truth be told, if the government wants to prevent/deter guns, they will pressure/subsidize ammunition manufacturers so as to make ammo unavailable or grossly expensive to prevent you from obtaining it. The cheap russian made ammo could be import restricted, but again none of this will even remotely happen until after the 2010 elections.

As far as your choice of firearm - I purchased a saiga and I am in the process of converting it. Don't get me wrong, I really like the rifle and its potential, but if I had waited a little bit I could have taken advantage of a sale not too long ago where atlantic and k-var where offering the sgl's for around $500 - which are basically saigas that have been converted for you on a very professional/factory level that would be difficult to replicate.

K-var now has the sgl's on sale for $579, which is not quite as good as before but is still a good deal if you plan on buying a saiga and then converting it yourself. K-var also has a deal where you can get a 50 dollar gift certificate for $45, so in theory you could purchase several of the gift cards and reduce the $579 price tag, if they allow that. The rifle that you would get from k-var would have nice furniture, a bayonet lug, and the upper and lower handguard retainers, and an AK-74 style muzzle break which will make other accessories easier to install or more compatible.

Even though I like the saiga and the sgl's I still think they are a little overpriced - the panic seems to have settled and some prices have dropped, but they will probably never go back to what they should have been. These particular AK's are just stamped sheet metal for all intensive purposes.

If you live in California, move while you still can - before pelosi can construct a wall to protect everyone in her people's paradise from the corruption of capitalism and freedom :).

Just my .02

Edited by mattra
  • Like 1

1. The Saiga in factory form isn't an "assault weapon." It is a sporting rifle and not listed on the current bill in committee because it is a sporting rifle.

2. How can a bill that hasn't even made it out of committee be passed at any time?

It won't - it will sit/die there for the time being. Some politician will reference it in his/her campaign as proof that they are trying to make American safer by disarming law abiding citizens and the rest of the blue dogs won't have to vote on it one way or the other so they can say they are still pro gun rights - it's all just one big scam.

1. The Saiga in factory form isn't an "assault weapon." It is a sporting rifle and not listed on the current bill in committee because it is a sporting rifle.

2. How can a bill that hasn't even made it out of committee be passed at any time?

It won't - it will sit/die there for the time being. Some politician will reference it in his/her campaign as proof that they are trying to make American safer by disarming law abiding citizens and the rest of the blue dogs won't have to vote on it one way or the other so they can say they are still pro gun rights - it's all just one big scam.

yes i know. that was my point. it cannot just be passed at any moment.

I plan on buying a 7.62 saiga from atlanticfirearms.com (if you go to their website its literally the first gun on the top left) in about 2 to 3 months. My friend is telling me that they may not be available in 3 months either because of the bankruptcy issue with Izhmash, and/or a new assault weapons ban that can pass at anytime. I don't really think it's something I need to worry about right now but what do you guys think?

Think the Izhmash bankruptcy issue went away.

I am almost as irritated with gun manufacturers/gun store owners for perpetuating this fear just to increase their margins. I would support my local gun store more if they didn't trade in this paranoia. I also love how the 922r compliance garbage just exists to create an artificial marketplace for parts that aren't really needed. It just defies logic, I might break the law if I install a piece of plastic on my gun from china, but I'm not breaking the law if that piece of plastic is made in the U.S. - absurd.

I am almost as irritated with gun manufacturers/gun store owners for perpetuating this fear just to increase their margins. I would support my local gun store more if they didn't trade in this paranoia. I also love how the 922r compliance garbage just exists to create an artificial marketplace for parts that aren't really needed. It just defies logic, I might break the law if I install a piece of plastic on my gun from china, but I'm not breaking the law if that piece of plastic is made in the U.S. - absurd.

I agree but we can only thank Clinton and the Liberal shit tards. Its not about logic its what they want and only what they want.

I agree it's a joke but not one that's funny to any of us sport shooters. The 922r compliance is really someones idea of putting more problems for some types of imported firearms.

For example the Tapco USA Mag. in my AMD-65 is three (3) USA Mfg. parts. I wonder if this Mag. is not in my AMD-65 is it now out of 922r compliance? Crazy questions but who really has the correct answer?

Ran into about the same stupid stuff with the ARs if a full Auto bolt carrier is installed in a simi auto AR15, does this make it now subject to being impounded by some stupid BATF agent if he feels it does. Who really knows the correct answer?

Myself I don't see this dumb stuff ever ending, it's just something we will always need to keep dealing with. :cryss:

Edited by rifleshooter474

The mag not being in the firearm will not change the comliance of the gun, only when said mag is loaded into the firearm.

Wow...I hate life right now. Right when I put a dent in my savings to buy a saiga the snow up here in NY ruins my car. I just found out that I need an $800 control arm repair after it bent from sliding in the snow too much T_T god....damnit.....

The above posters are correct: There is no fear of a new AWB. There is no danger of Izhmash going under.

Now I wish ether of those rumors were true, because my collection would be worth a fortune and I could retire a rich man.... but sadly they are just lies spread by idiots. :eek:

• Like 1

Lmao -1 nice, well I hope my fanboys get to sleep tonight. Hope you get your saiga man GL! nuttin wrong with ramen for awhile to make a purchase go with what makes you happy.