my next 5.45x39 rifle

After selling another weapon, I plan to pick up another 5.45 rifle. Not sure whether I should grab another Saiga and convert, or whether there is a better value on the market right now. I see a number of AK 74s going for about $430-450, and they all have threaded barrels already (minimizing my own trouble and expense). Not sure about the quality of these various rifles, though. Tantal, Lancaster, Elk Arms, and some others...any experience with any of these or others? Pros, cons? I'm curious about weight and accuracy compared to the Saiga, along with other factors. Also, will most of their parts interchange with my Saiga 5.45? I think I saw a thread a week or so back, in which there was not a definitive answer on whether the bolt or bolt carrier on a Saiga was interchangeable with other AK 74s. It would be nice to have redundancy.

Any comments appreciated.

Jim

EDITED TO ADD: Whatever the next rifle turns out to be, it has to have a side mount rail. I see that the Tantals I was looking at appears to not have it.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Stay away from Lancaster. My advice is to buy the saiga and convert or get the TGI trunk gun (cheapest in segment).

What's wrong with Lancaster?

Use the search function and look up posts by Post-Apocalyptic. He sums it up best... :angel:

• Like 1

What's wrong with Lancaster?

This thread details my experience with the company's "customer service", and shows you how shoddily-built the Lancaster rifle I made the mistake of buying was. They may not all be that way, but none of them should be.

I will never make the mistake of dealing with Lancaster, (or their overpriced Romy G kits), again. If you want even more compelling Lancaster horror stories, (my experience with the company was typical), you'll find plenty at arf.com in their AK section.

Edited by post-apocalyptic