Sight line question

If I were to get lucky and acquire a Saiga 12 soon and I were to use Dinzag's rear sight block and a HK front sight on the gas block what are the odds that they would line up correctly or would the front sight be too tall or even too short?

Edited by Apache

Unless you want them for the tacticool factor -- perfectly legitimate, you can save some coin and just use the factory iron sights. Not as deadly looking, but they work just fine.

WS

Edited by WaffenSchmied

Why not just use dinzags barrel mounted front sight as well? I doubt that the two would line up correctly, but the main question is why would you want to. If yo want to run hk sights then do just that. If you want to make your s12 look like a authentic ak then use dinzags rear and front sight. Even if the set up your talking about somehow lined up, you would still have the small sight radius as the factory sights. That's just my opinion so take it or leave it. I would also check out krebs ghost ring sights. I have these and the Russian GEN 3 barrel mounted front sight along with the replacement rear and prefer the krebs to anything else I have tried.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

There's a little tacticool factor involved. I also have a Galil upper front sight base but I think it would be too tall with the screw in post. One of the things that's drawing me to the S-12 is the parts availability now as opposed to a few years ago and that it's something I can work on myself (toy with) to get it the way I like it. After 25 years I'm slightly burned out on the regular AK platform (blasphemy) and I need a spring/summer project to occupy my time while my wife is away for a few months ...

Edit to add: I'm not too worried about the shorter sight radius, it's a shotgun so I doubt I'll use it for precision work. The Russian version has the shorter radius and I don't think it's any real hindrance to it's abilities ...

Edited by Apache

Thats a Molot Vepr.

The gas block set up is different from that of the your Saiga, and is going to make that one hard to duplicate. You could move the flat side of the sight flush against the front of the gas block, but it would be a pain in the ass to ajdust your settings and you would have to loosen the sight and turn it upside down to get the gas plug off and clean the gas chamber and gas tube.

Best to get an HK type front sight and have it permanently mounted to the gas block. Cobra does that kind of work all the time. You should get in touch with him.

WS

• Like 1

I understand the gas system is different, obviously I can't exactly duplicate the real system. Maybe we'll get lucky and Gunfixer or someone else will market a self-regulating gas block that will allow us to better copy the real deal Saiga/Molot designs.

Here's the Galil Block ...

galilsightblocki.jpg

Here's a photoshop of it cut down for welding ...

galilsightblockii.jpg

My thought is to use either a G3 front sight or preferably the Galil block welded to the top of the gas block, I just think the Galil sight may be too tall and until I have a gun here with all the parts all can do is ask questions ...