I received my 22" 20 Gauge Tuesday and would like to replace the OEM Gas Plug with the Gunfixr plug. What is the best tool to remove the OEM plug? Have any of you replaced the OEM plug with the Fixr plug? Did it improve reliability with the 2 3/4" shells? Thanks

Yes, I replaced my OEM gas plug "knob" in my Saiga-20 with a Gunfixr adjustable setting plug (presuming you're referring to the screw-in knob and not the puck that resides within). Nothing too it; sounds like you're making it more difficult than it is. Simply depress and hold down with a flat head screwdriver (or whatever you have that's handy and similar) the plug's detent nipple/button (or whatever the heck it's called) and unscrew the OEM plug. After a few turns you won't need to keep the button depressed and can continue to remove the plug all the way. Then, just repeat the process the other way, inserting and screwing down your Gunfixer plug ALL THE WAY down finger tight, then back it up a tiny bit until the button clicks into the first setting.

If I didn't convey that right I'm sure someone else will be coming along shortly to set me straight.

ENJOY your new adjustable gas plug! I found it be absolutely fantastic in my S-20.

~Gary

Edited by Gary

Thanks for the help-got it done. What setting do you use for 2 3/4" shells? #3 setting or #2 setting? Which gives the best results? One other "dumb" question from this newbie to the 20 Gauge: Can I lock the bolt back to load the mags? If so, how?

Dude, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people (and you're not one of the dumb ones, because you asking questions).

I sold my S-20 several months ago (was only shooting slugs through it due to the firing range's restrictions that I habitally shoot at), so I don't precisely recall what number setting I had mine at, but regardless it was for slugs so typically that's a different gas knob setting requirement (but not always, some folks are able to shoot both shot and slugs on the same low setting). Thing is, and here is the fun of it, you can determine and decide for yourself! Just set the knob setting at 1 (not zero of course), and see if you get any failures to cycle/failures to eject the spent shells completely from the receiver. If so, then turn the knob to the next higher setting and see how that works for you. I'm sure you get the idea.

Your last question is interesting (to me anyway) because if I recall correctly, the Saiga-20 does not come standard with a bolt hold open (BHO) lever. I purchased my S-20 directly from Tromix; never saw or handled the shottie in its OEM imported configuration. BUT, I do recall requesting to Tony Rumore that he please fabricate and install a BHO for my gun (which of course he did). So to my limited understanding, S-20s don't come with BHOs. . . . which frankly, seems a bit retarded to me.

Hopefully someone will come along here soon, and set us straight.

~Gary

Edited by Gary

The new ones will have the BHO lever. Little silver/black tab in front of the trigger. Pull the charge handle to the back, push the tab up and release the charge handle easily. It will catch.