saiga hi cap 7.62 mags

I just ordered mine. I have been searching all over for these mags. Finally a web-search bought me to this site and saw the posting from ravent25.

Like a nub, I sent an e-mail requesting info instead of searching the forums more.

Thanks for the reply ravent25!

According to pay-pal, I just paid $41.20 for a 10 round mag in a 30 round body. I don't mind paying it since I am tired of searching for these puppies and don't want to modify anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I purchased 2 mags from the guy on Gunbroker.com. They were nothing more than Bulgie Ak47 waffles, puttied over to bring the lip up flush and painted. The mag catch was filed down and painted over to fit the Saiga.

I fired 60 rounds through each one and the putty started to chip. After another 60 rounds, the putty was all gone and in an unmodified Saiga, the mags started to misfeed.

I wouldn't purchase any more of them. The guy was nice enough and offered to replace them but I don't want to have to keep calling him after every 120 rounds I put through the mags. I'd rather order the actual Saiga mags.

• 4 weeks later...

Since this would be the correct thread to post this in, I'll do so here.

Ok my local gun shop sells 20 and 30 rd pre-ban ak clips modified to be used in Saiga 7.62 x 39. They claim this is perfectly legal and appear to be pretty savvy with the laws. They claim because it's pre-ban it's not an issue. Can someone please point me to the exact law that states that this would not be a legal item to have with my Saiga? Your assistance is greatly appreciated as I really want a 30 rd mag but don't feel like getting busted for someone else's ignorance.

I could be mistaken but if regardless of pre-ban or not, if the mag has been modified within the USA to function in a stock Saiga (one which does not meet US parts count), the mag will most likely not function in a standard AK-47. If that is so, then it would be manufacture of a hi-cap mag because the original firearm it was made for can no longer accept it. Once again, I could be mistaken but that's my understanding of the law.

Is an otherwise stock Saiga even have these laws apply to it since it doesn't have any of the Assault rifle characteristics?

Title 18 U.S.C. (United States Code), Chapter 44, section 922(w)

provides that it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess

a large capacity ammunition feeding device except those which were

lawfully possessed on or before September 13, 1994.

As defined in 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, section 921(a)(31)(A), the term "large

capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip

or similar device manufactured after September 13, 1994, which has a capacity

of, or can be readily converted to accept, more than ten (10) rounds of

ammunition

Ok this is stating that the law applies to post ban magazines so I would need to know why this wouldn't apply to the magazine I may purchase. Is it because the gun is post ban? Is it because the magazing is being modified? Is it because the mag will no longer work in the AK? In other words I need the specific legalese. Any help is much apreciated.

Ok Here's more info I ran across in support of the local folks. Now this is just for the mag and not the implications of adding the mag to the gun. But I haven't found the specifics on adding the mag to the gun yet.

(O7) Are replacement parts for grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices subject to regulation under the law?

No. Parts may be replaced in grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and grandfathered feeding devices without violating the law. However, if the frame or a receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon is defective, the replacement must be made by the weapon's manufacturer or importer. The replacement receiver must be marked with the same serial number as the original receiver, and the original receiver must be destroyed. However, a manufacturer or importer who is unable to mark the replacement receiver with the same serial number as the original receiver may seek a marking variance in accordance with 27 CFR 178.92. In addition, the permanent records of the manufacturer or importer should indicate that the receiver for the weapon has been replaced.

• 1 month later...