Having just finished my S-12 conversion I decided that the stock handguard needs some jazzing up. I really would like to have a Galil style but my wife doesn't like them (go figure). She's not at all a gun person but since she allowed me to buy the gun I guess I'll keep the stock guard. I searched a bit but I need some tips on doing the vents. I have a Dremel, is that all I need? Any help would be appreciated.

I drilled holes for each slot with a drill and "connected" them with the Dremel cut off wheel. It worked fine for me the couple of times I did it. And wear safety glasses. The cut off wheel can get stuck in the plastic, shatter and send pieces of it flying at very high speeds. I think I recall someone around here catching a piece of a wheel in his forehead!

ETA: I use a tungsten carbide cutter for final shaping and I guess you could use sand paper for final smoothing. It looks fine to me with just the carbide cutter though.

Edited by Raoul_Duke

Thanks. I might try to make some sort of template in order to trace an outline of the slots. I'll also try some of the various cutting bits and see how it goes. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll do it when done (providing it doesn't look like crap) Wish me luck.

Well I did it. Used a cardboard template that I cut out using a plastic stencil bought at Hobby Lobby. Looks OK from a distance but I'm not proud enough to show online. Now, though, I may have a problem. I seem to have exposed what looks like some kind of relief port on the left side of the gas block. The puck seems to cover it when fully rearward in it's travel but I would really hate to take a blast of hot gas to my forward hand if I hold it near the port. Can anyone tell me if I should be worried about this?

You should be fine. Just don't try to cover that hole with a finger. Mine is like that and after over at least 400-500 rounds I have not had an issue with it. It has never burned myself nor anyone else that has shot it.

ETA: I would not be worried.

Edited by Raoul_Duke