I'm trying to keep up with all of this stuff about chokes, rifled barrels, rifled slugs, minimum barrel lengths with and without the additions of permanent extensions, gas ports, etc. and have no clue what's going on anymore. If someone can please get me back up to speed, it'd be awesome!

I'm sorry, it may be all the posts on the site, but I've read damn near all and still have some questions, so perhaps it would be beneficial to everyone if some of the more knowledged members could lay it out pretty simple for the rest of us.

Let's start off with rifled barrels. I'm not here to argue their legality. I'm here to ask why you'd want one? What's the advantage of a smooth-bore barrel?

Next, let's go with chokes. Full chokes, modified chokes, no-choke. What does a full choke do? What's a modified choke do? What's a no-choke do? What are the advantages of each? Advantages just with slugs? Or with buckshot and birdshot too?

What is all this business about high brass/low brass high velocity/low velocity ammo? What's a good ammo for fuckin' up an intruder, and what's a good ammo just to shoot a bunch of milk cartons with at my farm?

I know there's two settings on the gas port, I just want to confirm: setting 1 is for large loads, and setting 2 is for light loads? What constitutes a heavy load or a light load?

Say I have an 18.5" barrel, and want to add a 8" choke. Could I cut my barrel down to 10.5" and then add the choke? How do I make it a "permanant addition"? Can an FH be added to the end of a choke? OR even be made as part of the choke?

Whew, I think that's about all. If anyone comes up with something else that they'd like to teach me about, I'd love to read it. Thanks to anyone who responds, I'll try to return the favor someday.