Just get a folding stock and have the best of both worlds. Ive shot pistol grip only shotgun and any full power loads are wrist killers and it is impossible to get good sight alignment without eating the thing. Just my 2 cents.

imo, the most important things for a pump HD shotty are:

#1. tactical light

#2. magazine extended to end of barrel

an 18-19inch barrel and full stock isn't too unwieldy, but not as handy as a pistol grip only. some people are simply against any shotgun without a full stock. those guys do make good points about accuracy and recoil.

if you decide that the best shotty solution for you is a pistol grip only, you CAN shoot it accurately with reduced recoil buckshot. at apartment distances, you should be able to get accurate shots and control the recoil without busting your nose or knocking out a tooth. full power buckshot should be fired from the hip. reduced recoil can be fired from eye level with your arms extended.

i've never owned a mossberg, but i hear they are difficult or impossible to extend the mag. i vote for ANY 870 or a mossberg with an 18-20 inch barrel and factory extended mag. an 870 police (or clone) has an extended mag. regular 870s made in the past 15yrs have dimples in the magazine tube that you have to grind down or drill out to fit the extra shells.

if you decide on pistol grip only (PGO), you need to practice to build you skill and confidence. take it out and shoot some clays with birdshot. if you can bust a few clays without a full stock, you will be fine at apartment distances. remington reduced recoil buckshot kicks about the same as birdshot. reduced recoil loads tend to pattern a little tighter than full loads, so you still need to aim well. an added bonus to reduced recoil loads is that they are less likely to overpenetrate into your neighbors apartment than full loads.

i'm happy with my tacstar PG and reduced recoil buckshot. if you want to shoot full power loads, you may want to step up to a recoil reducing PG like the one Knox offers.