Hi Gang

Today was my first time at the range with my converted 308 (16")

I have a MOLOT scope mount(bought at Kalinka) with weaver rings and a Tasco 3-9 scope.

I was shooting 147 grain Pakistani surplus and 150 grain American Eagle.

At 50 yards I could not get a group tighter that 7 or 8 inches, my first shot would be on target, then the next 4 or 5 woud walk high and left or high and right, this happened with both types of ammo. I checked all the mounting screws/rings and they were all tight.

I know the scope is cheap, but i guess i really wanted to see if the gun was worth putting good optics on or not....I dont wanna drop $250 on a decent Nikon if the gun was not capable of being moderately accurate.

Does ayone have any suggestions?? I was really dissapointed today when I shot so poorly

Thanks fer the help!!

P.Smith

Well, first you should try again using iron sights. If your eyesight doesn't allow using irons, then have someone else shoot few groups. When using a cheap scope you may or may not get a good one and an AK can kill even a better scope. You should get at least 3-4" with good ammo at 100m using iron sights shooting from bench.

• Like 1

Ditto on the irons, use them to see what is different. Are you shooting prone?, supported?, You also should know as the barrel heats up there will be some vertical drift but most likely your scope or mount is killing you. Each time you fire the scope gets a good little slap (pushed toward the barrel) and your zero may well be adrift. It could also be you are jerking the trigger or any other type problem. Using the irons is your best bet.

Being able to hit a target at 300yrds with irons is the benchmark of a good battle rifle and rifleman. Its like learning to drive with a clutch, once you can do that everything else is easy.

The best way IMHO to get comfortable with irons is dry fire, I don't even cock the rifle for dry fire just work on NPOA, sight pic, and trigger squeeze. I know Appleseed has some 10' dry fire "targets" you can print as an aid. Once you get used to proper sight picture it becomes a lot easier. As always I recommend going to an Appleseed for that foundation of shooting and heritage. Its all a matter of skill and confidence, practice builds both.

Edit* One more point that I think really makes the 308 Saiga Irons shine is the range (elevation) adjustment. If you change out the blade rear sight for aperture or what ever, keep that feature functional IMHO. As long as you know the specs of the ammo you are using its easy to have a rifle functionally zeroed at a more easily found 50-100m firing range for point blank to 500 meters without counting clinks. Once you learn the particulars of your own rifle that little feature can be much more accurate than would be thought especially on the 21" 308 versus a 16" 7.62x39. Now if only ammo would come down enough to be able shoot a few hundred rounds without worry of cost. But I guess that's another topic.

Edited by Rhodes1968