Removing factory optics rail?

So I have decided that I do not like or need the factory optics rail on my Siagas. With all the after market optics and rail options and accessories that are more functional and better looking I want to remove the factory mount. Can I simply drill out the three rivets and remove the rail? Is there a simple way to cover or fill the holes that will be left without welding? Will I need to repaint after removing the rail?

I want to convert most of my Siagas to a left hand charging handle so that I can run a brass catch over the ejection port. Having the factory rail out of the way would make this a smoother fit as well. Let me know what you think.

When drilling the rivets, don't drill the rear one all the way just go far enough to get the mount off and you will leave enough rivet to hold the trunnion. The other two you will have to either fill or use the plastic hole plugs to cover them up. I can't remember if it was painted under the mount or not but if I had to guess I would say it is not. I did both left side charging handle and removed the mount and I am happy with it. I'm kind of screwed for an optics mount because I cut off my tang but I'm over it.