4x30 scope or 6x30 scope??

I currently have a 4x30 scope with really decent optics IMHO.

I just noticed they make a 6x30 version of the same scope for about $13 higher and same spec.

Any gain on the 6x vs the current 4x??

I can do 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with my 5.45x39, but think 6x may be better for say 150-200 yard shots.

The stated FOV goes from 26 ft with the 4x30 vs 18 ft with the 6x30.

Help would be appreciated.. Any users of 6x scopes please chime in..

I just ordered up a 6x32 compact scope (like the 4x32 I have now) with a set of rings.

I peaked thru my 2-7x32 and noticed a BIG difference in magnification when set at 6x compared to my current 4x.

At 6x magnification the same object almost fills the view vs. being 1/3 of the size in the other 4x.

I also just read another post (POSP post) where 6x is good for about 300 yards or so. [Thanks Spetzguru..]

Going to take off the Bushnell RD for a day and mount the 6x when it comes in.

Maybe I'll run my 7.62x39 with it and then my 5.45 (after resetting for the slight change).

But again is anyone running a 6x?? How good is it?? 009.gif

Don't know a whole lot about scopes... but I was messing around with the idea of getting a POSP 8x.. so I checked out a friends 4-16x and tried it on 8x.. Looked good long range and wasn't TOO bad getting on target at short distances (doable at 10-15 feet).. I don't think I'd go any higher magnification then that... If I were you I'd play with an adjustable scope and find the max zoom that your comfortable with at close range.. that way you have the best possible range with short range you can deal with. Just my opinion.. at short range I naturally line my gun out pretty good so a higher zoom isn't really an issue at close range, looking down the site is just confirming I'm on target rather then searching for it..

Edited by volkov

I currently have a 4x30 scope with really decent optics IMHO.

I just noticed they make a 6x30 version of the same scope for about $13 higher and same spec.

Any gain on the 6x vs the current 4x??

I can do 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with my 5.45x39, but think 6x may be better for say 150-200 yard shots.

The stated FOV goes from 26 ft with the 4x30 vs 18 ft with the 6x30.

Help would be appreciated.. Any users of 6x scopes please chime in..

I don't have any fixed power scopes, but I use a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 in competition. The extra power is nice, targets appear 50% larger (4x1.5=6), but the decrease in field of view is more dramatic than you realize. Makes it hard to find targets fast. Unless you're trying to hit golf balls at 200 yards, stay with the 4 power.

Doug

R&R I did notice the increase in object size and the cut down FOV 26 feet (4x) to 18 feet (6x).

At the 150 (or so) yards I walked out and checked. The 6x will be better (for me) for the 150-200 shots.

Going to reset the 4x for the 7.62x39 hopefully this weekend (as time alots at the range).

Then I can bounce between the red-dot and 4x on the 7.62x39 if I am satified with that GROUP also.

Love the QD mounts...027.gif

Love the QD mounts...027.gif

I'm curious to see whether they will maintain zero and whether the mount will loosen over time on account of being pulled off and put on repeatedly. The loosening thing was a problem with the K-Var mount I had. What type mount do you have again?

I have a PK-AS on one rifle now that I plan to never remove (not even for cleaning). Hopefully that will prevent any such problems. I want to put a POSP on another, but it will not live there, just visit...

JimD. I shot the Bushnell RD and 4x scope each once and then remove (they don't fit when on the rifle in my cases)

The next day they both were still on the money.

post-8775-1268433240369_thumb.jpg

Using the UTG 978 mount with top/side rails. Got one for $18 shipped from GB last year 027.gif and then $34 for the recent buy. Seen also on Amazon for $29 shipped..

The 4x is sitting here on the mount on my desk and will be re-shot tommorrow hoepfully. Will report back on this also for you. Mounted the 6x on the other mount for tommorrows shoot. If all goes well I will be snatching another mount for the RD again..012.gif Then I can just HOT-SWAP the 4x and RD on the 7.62x39 I got.