"Top Tier" scope mount options

Hi all, just got my first Saiga rifle, and I want to get a side mount for it. Is there anything with a Picatinny/weaver style rail that is truly high quality? Does the AK world have a Larue/ADM equivalent? I'm talking about a QD mount of some kind with a rail and repeatable zero. I want to slap my Burris XTR atop this baby and do some real accuracy testing, but I'm going to need some type of rail to do it first. Any good options?

Please don't tell me "UTG".

Hello

The two best mounts that I have are the IOR and the new K-Var. Both are low and centered, and are (relatively) quick-release w/ single throw-lever locking them down. Very sturdy and repeatable.

I don't know about availability of the IOR any more.

Respectfully,

guido

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

The two best mounts that I have are the IOR and the new K-Var. Both are low and centered, and are (relatively) quick-release w/ single throw-lever locking them down. Very sturdy and repeatable.

I don't know about availability of the IOR any more.

Respectfully,

guido

Hey thanks dude!

I got one a long time ago that says "made in Belarus" and what looks like "BP-02" in some sort of cyrillic on the side.

It is AMAZING. VERY low mount, dead on center. IIRC it was like 40-50 bucks. I think I got it from Tantal or one of the other people importing stuff from Russia/Ukraine/etc.

If you can find anything similar to it, that would be great. Honestly, the mount is so low I cannot use the irons but with a standard AK stock or even a wire stock it offers an AMAZING sight picture with the often less-than-comfortable ak cheek weld. I've had less than stellar luck with high mounts. To be honest, the mounts swap so quickly it's not even worth trying to use irons for me. If my RDS goes down in the middle of a match I figure I'll just yank it off the gun real quick.

ETA:

A factory soviet bloc mount will normally be built like a tank. The mounting system itself is QD and WAYYY overbuilt from the factory. Actual soviet bloc mounts will look like some sort of mad plumber cobbled them together and may have either a flat or a crinkle grey or black finish on them. I have tried Russian, Romanian and Belarussian mounts with equal success with regard to stability and repeatability of zero.

The biggest downfall I've seen with these is the weight. Take a soviet bloc mount and compare it to a US made or chinese mount and you can feel the difference pretty quick; the soviet bloc mounts are like lead bricks compared to the others.

Here is a pic of the BP-o2 unit as described above; they show up on ebay every once in awhile and you can find them online with some searching.

scope.jpg

Edited by Tsm002