Another newbie with some questions (7.62x39)

I've been lingering around the board for the past few weeks trying to figure out as much as I can about my 7.62x39. Alot of the guns I'm seeing here are kick ass and I'm lookin' to get mine in that same boat. And to be honest, I'm gettin' frustrated as hell so far. So on that note here's my questions (bear with me as I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you):

1. How can I tell if my Saiga has been converted to accept AK mags? Reason I ask is this. It has a 5rd mag that came with it (not a Saiga mag, says China on the bottom) and according to my brother (who I got the gun from) that 5 round clip works. So with that, I assumed that it has been converted to accept regular AK clips. BUT.. I was out with him when we were shooting and he dumped one of his regular 30rd AK clips into it and it kept jamming every 3 or 4 shots. I just went to a gun shop and compared my 5rd mag to a 30rd mag and it was EXACTLY the same. Nothing on the 5rd mag lead me to believe it was altered in any way. So wtf does this mean?

2. I wanted to buy a new stock for it and get a pistol grip at the same time. Do I just buy parts for an AK or do I have to alter the gun to accept AK parts there too?

I understand about the 922r law and would love to make my gun compliant but it seems like a pain in the ass to do so. I've seen the saiga conversion site and it looks like a bit more than I'd like to tackle right now, but if it's my only option, then I guess I'll have to do it (and risk trashing the gun).

BTW- Thanks to woverine and pistonring who have set me in the right direction thus far. I love this gun but with the hassle it seems I've already gone through trying to make it "cool", I'm beginning to understand why my brother gave it to me (as a present).

Thanks in advance all. Sorry for the long winded post.

1 Sounds like you got a goofy 5 rnd magazine. for a Saiga to accept AK mags you need to put in a feed ramp, if you take off the reciver cover and remove the bolt carrier, and look at the area directly infront of the chamber, it should be smooth the whole way around (minus a rivet on the left side), if it's smooth you don't have a feed ramp.

2 you have to alter the gun. the trigger has to be moved forward, and your stock and PG must be made in america.

There are gunshops out there that will convert a saiga for you if you provide the parts,

http://www.fireflyarms.com/

http://www.ak-103.com/services.html

There are more, but these were the ones I remembered

Thanks shooter.

It looks as though it doesn't haven't a feed ramp (desc you gave is exactly what is there, smooth except for the rivet on the left side).

I checked out those sites, looks like they're gettin' a pretty good chunk of change for the conversions. For now, I think I'll just buy a 10rd mag, make sure it does work, then buy a few more and leave the gun alone until I'm ready to upgrade.

I knew I'd get an answer quick, thanks! Now I gotta find some 10rd mags. Any ideas for some cheap mags? Cheapest I've seen on the web has been $19.99 for the 10rd.