Couple of ?'s

Specifically, what's the OD of the Saiga 5.45mm barrel? Also, is the gas block a 90° or 45°? Would a Krebs KTR gas block fit on a Saiga?

The barrel OD under the gas block is 14.75mm or .582in I am measuring on a duracoat so take 0.02 off. the gas block is 90°. Krebs does not have any small gas blocks left. If you are thinking about using the one that he has on his site now. You would have to sleeve that Gas block/sight.

Also, how do you index the gas block on the barrel so that it's engaged properly with the gas port? Just sort of eyeball it so it's straight on the barrel?
There are many ways to do this. Im not sure I can explain the correct way.

Also, you can use an AR15 .223 flash hider with the 5.45mm round without problems, right? Can you thread a Saiga barrel 1/2"x28?
Yes

Was thinking about doing something like Deussne's 5.45, except with an ACE side-folder and instead of chopping the barrel, keeping it 16" and threading on an A2 hider. Keeping it 16" means I could (theoretically) thread on whatever AR hider I wanted. Maybe an A2, maybe a Vortex. Don't know yet.
I just want to clarify something here. I have a 16.875" barrel length. (measured from breech to the end of a permanently welded Flash hider) I wanted to use a tabuk flash hider which is over 3" long but I did not want to be sporting a 19" barrel. That is why my barrel was shortened/threaded and then had the flash hider permanently welded on with a 1/8" bead using TIG welder all the way around the barrel. That is more then BATF requires. (3/4 revolution) Only downside is that it is a permanent deal. I would never be able to pick a different stile flash hider where if you just thread the barrel you can always swap your flash hiders as you get tired of them. I had the barel out of the trinion that way it could be cut, turned down for the proper OD of the flash hider and a crown cut on a lathe. As far as side folder goes, I wish I could have one, but here in Michigan that would classify my rifle as a pistol and I do not want to go though all that hassle........

Congrats on purchasing such a fine caliber rifle. You will really like it. Make sure to get plenty of mags while they are cheap. :smoke:

Edited by Deussne