Please forgive my ignorance but I need some more help. I'm looking at load data for .223 and .40. Some of the loads call for a 55gr hollow point bullet from a particular manufacturer and show the amount of powder, velocity, etc for that load. Will it cause any problems to use a different type of 55gr bullet (fmj, v-max, soft point, etc)? I see the same thing for .40 loads. One may call for a FMJ bullet but will loading it with the same size HP be ok? I personally don't see where using the same size bullet with same powder charge would make a difference but I figured it's always better to ask people with more experience and know what the heck they are talking about. After all, we all no what happens when you assume.

I just bought a manual and read through it and want to make sure I'm understanding something else as well. I read that it is ok to use a bullet of slightly less weight than what is called for in a particular load but to never go heavier. EX: My book shows loads for 170gr .40 bullets but most bullets I see are 165gr. Is it ok to substitute a 165gr bullet in a 170gr recipe (assuming powder charge stays the same). So for a .223 I could use a 53gr bullet in a load calling for a 55gr?

Again thanks for the help.

Pretty much the weight of the bullet is the weight of the bullet... regardless of who makes it... the load data will stay the same.

You have to understand, load data is somewhat based on the amount of powder to propel a given weight object.

If the weight remains constant, then the powder weight will as well.

NOW... when you go changing weights of the object, you SHOULD adjust your powder charge accordingly... Lets use a HYPOTHETICAL BULLET RECIPE FOR AN EXAMPLE...

Recipe "A" calls for: powder - 27 grains for a 50 gn. bullet

Recipe "B" calls for: powder - 24 Grains for a 60 gn. bullet

All I have to load are 55 grain bullets... ( again, this is just hypothetical so you get the idea)

Well, split the difference in powder weights... and try 25.5 grains of powder.

Yuppers... pretty much THAT easy.

Or err on the side of caution and start with the LIGHTER powder charge and work up keeping below the maximum load for the lighter bullet.

The heavier the bullet the LESS POWDER YOU USE!!!! not because of weights or velocities... but because THAT MUCH LESS POWDER WILL FIT IN THE CASE!!!

SO... substituting a 165gr bullet in a 170gr recipe (assuming powder charge stays the same)will certainly WORK... although your velocity will be higher than the listed velocity for the heavier weight bullet. Also, you can work up slightly and "load test" to see if your particular barrel prefers that exact load, or if it like them tweaked just a bit. Some barrels may shoot a load twice as accurately with just a half a grain of powder difference than the last load... just because of the twist, and the way that bullet happens to run through that barrel...

Keep in mind your case overall length ( COL ) is important too, when you go swapping bullet weights around... heavier bullets are longer, and have to be loaded DEEPER into the case. Again... one reason why you use less powder for heavier bullets. If you can load your bullets to just off the rifling lands when chambered they "should" be more accurate than bullets loaded to just "spec"... although maybe not... again... your specific barrel will let you know what it does and does not like... :up:

Good luck!

:smoke: