Funny puck noise

Hi all,

I just picked up a used RAA Saiga from a local guns store. Since I've had it home, I notice that the gas puck slides forward and aft with a "clunk" noise when the muzzle is raised and a "clunk" noise when the muzzle is lowered regardless of the shotgun's state of assembly or bolt/piston position (in or out of battery). It doesn't seem to affect the function of the shotgun at all.

My question is, is the clunk-clunk noise common to S12s? I'd like to use this as a turkey/deer gun when the situation calls for it and that extra noise won't be helpful for sneaking up on critters. If it's not a normal Saiga sound, what can I do to eliminate it?

Outside of the noise, this is by far to coolest scattergun I've ever owned, easily digesting cheap 1 oz loads and delivering them as needed. I haven't stopped smiling since I took it shooting yesterday.

AK again, Saigas are built with loose clearances and wide tolerances. The gas puck is loose in some, and tight in others. There's no rhyme or reason regarding fit of the gas puck, or even other moving parts for that matter. If your S-12 shoots reliably, I suspect that your gas puck or the gas block are just on the loose side of correct. You may want to try an American made gas puck, of which there are a number of different designs. You may even want to carefully measure the inside of the gas block and ask one of the American made gas puck makers to send you one fitted for that dimension. Even so, you don't want the puck to fit too tightly. It needs to move to function, so a happy medium is usually best. You will note that as you shoot the gun, carbon from the gas system will build up on the puck and inside of the gas block, making the puck fit tighter and reducing the looseness. Of course, when you clean the gun thoroughly, the looseness will return until you shoot it some more. A loose puck will not cause any damage, so don't worry about that.

I have a King's Armory puck and a "Gunfixr" 4 position gas plug in my S-12, and like them very much. The "Gunfixr" gas plug has 2 more positions to adjust to for different kinds of ammo than the factory 2 position plug, and you don't need 3 hands to hold the detent down to turn it. It locks into the detents without needing to hold the detent pin down, which makes doing so much quicker and easier. I wouldn't be without it.

Keep us posted as you progress with your Saiga shotgun. They are terrific shotguns, and part of that is their reliability BECAUSE of relatively loose fitting of parts. As you shoot your S-12 more, stay tuned here to learn more about your gun, and pick up some good tips. There is a wealth of info here.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your S-12.

Thank you folks, very good to know! The Gunfixr plug sounds pretty cool. The idea of being able to better "dial in" the gas system makes good sense. I'd thought about some sort of steel bushing between the plug and piston, or just having the piston lengthened a little by the guy who builds my other AKs.

This'll be my second "sporting" kalashnikov, the other being my Vepr .308. I'm a fan of "dual purpose" firearms, so to speak. If the S12 is anything like the Vepr, it will be a much-valued possession.