New to Saiga Shotguns

i'm new to saiga shotguns, only fired one once last year, a 20gauge with slugs in it. i have alot of experiance with regular ak's. is there anything special about the shotguns vrs. the rifles that i need to know ? luckily i saw a posting in another section where a member had a link to an auction and i was able to purchase a saiga 20gauge brand new with 2 2 3/4 mags and 2 3" mags for 150 plus shipping. it's a 22 inch barrel. i'm having thoughts of cutting it down to 18.5'' and having choketubes installed. is that worth my time ?

Having the barrel cut down has a lot to do with what you plan on doing with the gun. If you plan on hunting with it, I would have it cut down. You can get around in the brush easier with a shorter barrel. I had tubes put in mine. Most of our deer hunting is in dence timber and brush. A long shot is about 35yds. By cutting down the barrel you are going to lose some vellocity out of the projectile. I ran some Winchester 2 3/4" slugs through my chrony and they averaged 1590fps. Not too bad as the box claims 1600fps. This is out of a 19" barrel. You would probally lose 150 to 200 fps max going from a 22" to say a 18 1/2".

Hi guys. I have a question for tomme boy or anyone else who has cut down the barrel on a 20. How hard is it to cut down a Saiga 20? Did you do it yourself? I am thinking of picking a 22 incher and I would like to cut it down myself if it is doable. After cutting your's down did you need to modify the gas system any? I understand that sometimes the gas ports need to be opened up some for reliable functioning. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for any help, Heath