I have a converted gun with the factory hand guard. I want to add a light to my rifle and was thinking about mounting it to the underside of the hand guard. I've seen the short rail pieces that you can bolt into the holes of an AR hand guard and was thinking about the possibility of using that same idea on a Saiga. I have not taken my hand guard off so I'm not sure if there's even room in there. Will this work or can anyone point me towards a better idea. I just want a light, no optic or forward grip, so I have no need or desire to buy another hand guard. Plus I like the way the factory one fits my hand.

I've been wondering the same thing too. I believe theres enough room to mount a light if you mount it a little further back towards the receiver, but the fit of the handguards is pretty tight at the front and fitting a light may make it hard to remove the handguard. I wish there was an integrated light option made specifically for Saiga rifles like the Bulgarian Krinkov light mounts.

When I get some time I'll search here and figure out how to take the handguard off and have a look. I have no idea how much room is in there but it would only take enough clearance for a nut. I could grind the bolt down to sit flush with the nut if I had to. I figure I'll only be out about 10 bucks for the rail so it's worth a shot to save a bunch of money. The rails sold by sponsors here are nice but this would be a cheap alternative until I can scrounge up enough money someday for one.

I've been there and done it sirs:

2233.jpg

rail.jpg

I just used a spare scope mount I had laying around and a few flat head screws. I had to dremel down a bit of the inside of the handguard for clearance for the nuts though. Hope this helps you.

Edited by seanie