HELP I jacked up my 308 doing a conversion

If it were me...... I'd get a piece of hardwood stock and cut a block of it as a brace for inside the receiver and then use another scrap piece of it on top of the malformed hole and pound it back into shape. If the hardwood just takes the malformed shape, then you may need to use a brass punch.

Only issue I can think of though is that the receiver is hardened around those holes so that they don't wear. I don't know if the flexing of the steel in that area hurts the hardening or not.

find a good machinist/gunsmith(I prefer machinists with ak work unless a gunsmith is used to working on ak's, most aren't that I find). they are gonna have to vise the receiver up, put a block on the inside of the receiver and start tapping it back. They make special hammers for this type of re-work, don't attempt with a nail hammer. The machinist/gunsmith may need a tig welder if the hole is rounded out too much. measure i.d. with calipers to get it right on. The guys that do my machining/welding weld up defects in the forges of lower units for Mercury Marine.

Yea I realized my mistake. I really don't know what I was thinking except I wanted to hurry and get it done. If nothing else I now understand my aks much better. I even had a second opinion before I jacked it up. I know who not to go to for advice in the future.

Yea I realized my mistake. I really don't know what I was thinking except I wanted to hurry and get it done. If nothing else I now understand my aks much better. I even had a second opinion before I jacked it up. I know who not to go to for advice in the future.

Problem fixed. I used a 5/8" brass punch and shimmed up the inside. There is still a little bit of deformation but it went back together just fine. I finished the conversion and reassembled it. The retaining plate went in with out a problem. I will work it a little more but it seems to be in working order.

You have got to love AK's. Even after some monkey with a big hammer jacks it up you can still fix it.