Some Saiga Questions

Hi there.

I'm looking for a "do everything" rifle. I'm thinking the Saiga 308 just might fit the bill.

What i want is a single rifle that's my zombie killer, plus my all purpose hunting rifle. I'll be hunting black tail, mulies, elk, and moose. Sorry if these have been asked & answered a million times but i've perused quite a bit and am unable to find definitive answers.

Has anyone ran any Barnes Triple shocks through a Saiga? This will be my moose & elk round. Probably the federal:

p308a1.jpg

I'm interested in the "hunters package" from classic. Can anyone verify these mounts will hold a zero?

SAIGA308WSC.jpg

I'm not a long distant shooter but i will take shots out to about 250. That's just my present comfort level. I'd rather let an animal walk than leave a wounded animal to die in the woods. How difficult to get one of these down to sub-2 moa?

Has anyone done any ballistics tests comparing the 16 & 22 inch barrels? I'm reading conflicting information here.

I would just really love to be able to have my 1 do everything rifle. shtf battle rifle/deer/elk/moose gun all in one that i can train with and get as proficient as possible with. Does this seem an ill-advised venture? One of the things i'm attracted to with the Saiga is that i could keep the stock without an ak pistol grip, camo it in typical hunting pattern and i've got an MBR/hunting gun without nearly as much "scary looking black gun" factor as for instance hunting with a FN or PTR. I like the Saiga' low key appearance.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked a million times

-Antiacus

I'd recommend one the Posp scopes. I don't know what would be a good place to buy one from, but I hear they are a good quality scope and mount.

I have the UTG scope mount which is what is shown in the picture. I'd say its ok but not that great.

The 4x POSPs are well-built and rock solid, but a *little* heavy if you are lugging it through the brush. Kalinka Optics sells them.

I don't have the .308 (yet) but if my other Saigas are any indication, you should be able to get ~2 MOA especially with good ammo.

16 vs 20, the longer barrel only gains you a little more velocity, and a little less muzzle blast/flare. In most cases a shorter barrel will not affect accuracy much at all, in fact can reduce barrel whip and sometimes improve accuracy. I'd go short and get a muzzle device, but it's a personal preference.

I purchased that exact package from Classic Arms. For the money its a good package, but the scope is a cheap Tasco. I works for me. I have only shot it at 100 yards. I need a little more seat time to see if it will hold zero, but so far so good.

I don't know about big game with a 308. I have only shot Brown Bear 150 grain bullets.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually want the scope to stick on a .22lr :)

I've always liked those posp scopes. I wonder how easy it is to make windage & elevation changes. Anyway, for $200 for the scope & mount that seems like a great deal on a quality scope.

http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-POSP_4x24_Russian_Scope_AK_Mount.html

JDmakersmark, these new bullets really turn what used to be marginal big game calibers into sure-thing killers. Even the former "uber rounds" like nosler partitions don't even come close to comparing to a Barnes Triple shock. You should do some research, the 308 will drop anything in North America with these new bullets.

Same for some small caliber hand-gun rounds. 380 used to be ruled-out as a self defense round because for decades nothing but fmj was available. Now you can get Corbon DPX for 380 which stacked against a full size 9mm with fmj is a far more devastating round.

-Antiacus

I was planning on putting the Tasco on my 10/22 eventually. I think its a nice "cheap scope". Unfortunately I have too many projects going at once, and they are all works in progress. I need to spend more time at the range with the 308 and see if I can get to a 200+ yard range.

I'll have to look into the Barnes triple shot. I hear what you are saying. It's like the 9mm round with the correct +p rounds it really performs like a bigger caliber.

Overall, I am very pleased with the 308. I seems to be very versatile and do a lot of things well.

I was under the impression that dinzag arms had a replacement trigger.. But I don't see it on his site.

You could probably clean it up with a polishing stone and use some moly paste to slick it up. You have probably noticed the trigger is not a straight pull, but a mostly upward motion. I found it annoying enough to change.

I was under the impression that dinzag arms had a replacement trigger.. But I don't see it on his site.

You could probably clean it up with a polishing stone and use some moly paste to slick it up. You have probably noticed the trigger is not a straight pull, but a mostly upward motion. I found it annoying enough to change.

Thanks man. If it comes down to having to add a pistol grip or keeping an unacceptable trigger, i'll add the pistol grip. I really like the looks of your rifle.

My only concern with the pistol grip is that I would just as soon the weapon draw as little attention to itself as possible as it's primary use will be for hunting. As i stated above though, it will also be my main defensive weapon in a shtf scenario should our dollar collapse & we end up looking like Argentina in 2001 (We just so happen to look exactly like Argentina in early 2000, so i guess it could happen).

I appreciate the help.

Thanks man. If it comes down to having to add a pistol grip or keeping an unacceptable trigger, i'll add the pistol grip. I really like the looks of your rifle.

My only concern with the pistol grip is that I would just as soon the weapon draw as little attention to itself as possible as it's primary use will be for hunting. As i stated above though, it will also be my main defensive weapon in a shtf scenario should our dollar collapse & we end up looking like Argentina in 2001 (We just so happen to look exactly like Argentina in early 2000, so i guess it could happen).

I appreciate the help.

Doing the conversion and installing any standard fire control group (FCG) is an amazing difference, not only for feel, but for accuracy. You are going to want to do the pistol grip conversion, if only for the purpose of getting a solid trigger. The difference is night and day.

The Saiga is solid, but the stock trigger is a cheap folded piece of sheet metal, it slaps back when you fire it, and if you pull it back slowly it is not predictable on firing time. Sometimes it holds for 1-3 seconds, sometimes it fires immediately. In addition, the stock trigger requires much more force than a converted trigger does, and may throw off your aim.

Convert it. Forget about the fudds who discriminate against your weapon choice because of the style, especially if you plan to use it as a backup defense gun. You will have a more superior and durable weapon than they can dream of.