Saiga parts interchangeable with a PSL-54c?

Like the topic says. I was out shooting Sunday (just got the issue scope zero'd at 100yds) when the gun quit and the bolt stopped moving freely.

I police my brass, and noticed that I was getting pierced primers, even on 3 of 20 Russian-made steel-cased 148gr FMJ I bought at Cabela's. The S&B 174gr match was getting pierced about 6/20, as was the Winchester 180gr SP.

When I took the gun apart, the firing pin was wedged under the left side of the bolt!

What I think happened is that a pierced primer blew back through the bolt (that case had a badly pierced primer w/ scorch marks!), forcing the firing pin past the retaining pin and out the back of the bolt. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

Now, I need a new firing pin and retaining pin at the very least. What I'd like to avoid is buying a whole PSL bolt carrier group.

Since the carrier is fine (and the bolt itself may still be serviceable), are there any conversions to a spring-loaded firing pin available? I really don't want to have to replace firing pins or bolts very often...

I think my other option for preventing pierced primers is to get a lighter mainspring behind the hammer. Is that an option?

My other question is whether there's a heavier recoil spring available that would be happier with bullet weights in the 168-180gr range, since my PSL beats the heck out of brass (even the steel cases were coming out dented!).

Update to the PSL saga.

Saturday, I took the bolt apart and straightened/polished the firing pin... I took my time, so it was about 2 hours work.

A friend of mine reloads his own brass and looked at a couple cases that had ended up in his stuff. They were showing signs of severe overpressure!

Yesterday, I was carefully experimenting: load one round by hand, let the bolt come forward: The 148gr FMJ I have loaded fine as a single, but rounds from the magazine are getting shorter (something like .015" or more).

Sadly, my PSL does *not* like the 174gr S&B match ammo. Even loading a single round directly into the chamber, the primer is extruding and wrapping around the tip of the firing pin.

Is there anything I can do to the magazines to not squish the rounds before they go in the chamber?

Or is there another recommended modification I can do to eliminate this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to Explain what I know: The PSL, and Maybe, the Dragunov Tiger are built to handle 147-148 and maybe 150 grain slugs and accommodating powder charges. The freebore, (distance between chambered slug and start of rifling)is measured to keep the slug aligned yet let it start to move before engaging the lands and groves. The heavier 174gr loadings are probably touching the rifling,(if not swedged into them) before ignition. Upon firing this causes extreme chamber pressures,excessive recoil and fores the shel back against the bolt so hard and fast that the firing pin penetrates the primer. I was surfing the PSL boards once and learned that a gunsmith had posted news about not using heavy slugs in PSL's and Dragunov type weapons. His experience-- replacing various parts after owners had learned the lesson by endangering their lives, but wrecking the mechanism. 150's will do anything you would use a PSL for!

• 2 weeks later...