Another converstion/restoration project

I’ve been lurking around http://forum.saiga-12.com since February 2007, and I’ve learned a lot about my Saiga 7.62x39 rifle courtesy of forum members. I recently did a simple PG conversion on my rifle and thought it might help other newer members.

My 7.62x39 rifle was manufactured in July 2006. I purchased it locally for $295 in March 2007. It’s a version 03 rifle; basic sporter model with a 16” civilian stepped barrel, a PG hole already cut, no extra Y stamp, and a factory certified grouping of 109mm. I haven’t cut the shroud off the barrel, but suspect it isn’t threaded, although threading it may be my next project.

One of the first things I did was to install Dinzag’s BG in June 2007, and file down the magazine catch to accept standard AK magazines. I already owned another AK47 purchased from Vector Arms in 2001, and had a number of 20-round Hungarian tanker and 30-round Bulgarian polymer mags. However, other than testing the fit of the 20 and 30 rounders, I never used anything other than the Saiga Surefire magazine to remain 922r compliant.

Initially I though the factory FCG was decent enough, and didn’t want to do the PG conversion, so I ordered the stock Saiga skeleton stock in October 2009. That setup was OK for a while, although the skeleton stock was a bit awkward for me.

Last month I decided to take the leap and ordered the Tapco FCG (FCGPGC1), FCG Retaining Plate (AKRETP), Conversion Kit (CONVKIT), K-Var NATO buttstock and PG from Dinzag Arms. While waiting for the parts to arrive, I did my homework. I removed the dust cover and spent some time (15-20 minutes) familiarizing myself with the workings of the FCG and the safety. I also recommend these online references…

Saiga Pistol Grip Conversion

Intro - Saiga 7.62x39 Conversion (Note: there are 5 other videos in the series.)

Once the parts arrived the whole process took me about 3 hours. My skills with hand tools are very basic. I used common household tools; handheld drill, flathead screwdriver, various size punches, a rubber mallet and a 20 oz. hammer. I’m not going to recount every step since this already has been well documented by others. However, I will say the toughest and most time consuming part of disassembly for me was removing the factory trigger guard rivets and plate. The toughest part of reassembly was getting the FCG and BHO aligned. I did not use the “dental floss” method reinstalling the BHO, opting instead for needle nose pliers. The BHO spring can really jump and I almost lost it once or twice. In retrospect I think the “dental floss” method might work better because you aren’t going to lose the BHO spring. I found a nail punch on the opposite side of the receiver to align things was helpful. Also wrapping the FCG in a zip tie as demonstrated in the CSS video worked really well. Beside the PITA getting the FCG and BHO aligned, the other time consuming bit was spray painting the bottom of the receiver; spray… wait 10 minutes to dry… done 4 times.

On a scale of 1-10 (1=Easy/Simple and 10=Difficult/Complex), I’d rate the process at 3-4. The result is really appreciated since the balance and feel of the converted/restored rifle is much better and the Tapco FCG is a “day and night” improvement compared to the factory one.

Hope this helps.

Edited by modrisco

Good job! You did the right thing, and you seem to see that right off. Your confidence just may get another "I'll do it later" person to jump in and make their rifle a better tool.