The RCBS vibratory case cleaner that I have used exclusively since late 1988 cleaned its last batch of .45 ACP brass last evening. This morning after I loaded it with more brass and hit the switch all it did was hum. So I dumped out the brass and walnut media to give the motor a chance to do its thing without a load. Stll nothing but a hum. I think this is what is known as a clue.

After more than 20 years of faithful service the time has come to replace this fine piece of machinery. I'd love to get get another twenty years out of a new case cleaner. Like many other posts I read, I too am asking for suggestions. Which brand is the best these days?

The RCBS vibratory case cleaner that I have used exclusively since late 1988 cleaned its last batch of .45 ACP brass last evening. This morning after I loaded it with more brass and hit the switch all it did was hum. So I dumped out the brass and walnut media to give the motor a chance to do its thing without a load. Stll nothing but a hum. I think this is what is known as a clue.

After more than 20 years of faithful service the time has come to replace this fine piece of machinery. I'd love to get get another twenty years out of a new case cleaner. Like many other posts I read, I too am asking for suggestions. Which brand is the best these days?

Will PM with recommendation due to link posting rules.

MMR

Take it apart and fix it :) I would venture to guess it is just a small motor with a counterweight.

I have used, worked with, and on occasion rebuilt industrial tumblers for years, and that is precisely how a tumbler works. If the motor is humming - there's a good chance it has thrown the counterweight(s) free. If this is the case the counterweights can most likely be reattached -- if you can find them.

Smaller tumblers often use common washers bolted to an arm attached by an arbor to the motor's shaft. Easy enough to repair if this is in fact the problem.