Moving soon what do I need to do?

are you moving out of state? if so, you need to send NFA branch a form 5320.20, before you move, wait for the approved form to come back and then you can transport that weapon to the other state.

if you are moving to a state that doesn't allow the type of NFA weapon you own, they will not approve the move. so you pretty much have 3 choices, 1) sell it 2) keep it in the state, or 3)convert it back to non-NFA status (in the case of SBR/SBS permently attach a extention to make the barrel legal length) write the NFA branch to drop off the registery wait for the approval and then take it with you.

if it's intrastate move, you don't need to notify the branch, since it isn't interstate move, the only thing they care about is interstate moves. but, you can notify the NFA branch of the change of address when you finially get settled

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Don't take it as gospel but here it goes (I'm sure others will add/correct me).

1st, make absolutely sure its legal in the jurisdiction you're moving to. You cannot exactly take your full auto to California I think.

2nd, make absolutely sure you have a SECURE chest/safe/case that is rock solid and absolutely nobody other than you has access to it. A SAFE is your best bet. Again, NOBODY can have access to it except you. I "believe" that if they have a safe, and you store it inside and its LOCKED UP in a case where they cannot access it, that is ok too. Must be zero chance for someone to "check it out" while you're at work etc.

3rd. Form 5320.20 I believe. Its a simple form and you fill it out for traveling outside of state lines. Normally used when you want to go to a shooting event and its out of state (in-state = no need of course). The form though is also used for "permanent" change of address. My experience on this is the form comes back real fast. Its merely an acknowledgement from them. I think I sent mine out on a Monday and had it back before the Friday when I moved into my house. Real simple form. This must be returned and in your hand before the move. I'd also keep a copy of it for any future range sessions (since your original form will have an old address, they might ask for the 5320.20).

Repeat when you move again.

Edited by whatmanual