A few average .308 questions.

hey guys, i just finished my first conversion on a 7.62. it took me all of a couple hours, and was so easy. The rifle looks freakin beautiful and in fact gets as many comments as my M4 MWS. Shot maybe 20 rounds out of it, havent even zero'd it yet but i already know i want a .308. So my questions are:

1) compared to a 7.62, what is different about this conversion (different/modded parts, procedures)

2) what is the best price im going to find? i found a 7.62 anywhere between 319 and 400.

s2t..

The standard shelf Tapco G2 FCG will only work with mods. The 308 receiver is reported (not confirmed) to be a HAIR wider and may need some a small washer on each side of the FCG (group) pins to keep it centered up. Most buy Dinzags 308 FCG for this reason. It is also machined so the safety selector lever will clear without any grinding needed issues.

I myself would get the standard G2 and go for it, but thats me.

No rivet heads to drill on the sides for the old FCG to come out. Just the bottom ones to be dremeled off per usual.

Some 308 models have been reported NOT to have the PG hole cut in the receiver which may require some dremel-foo.

There is a diagram on here somewhere for cutting the PG hole so thats not a biggie.

S308 is currently on my list of ones to still get.. had to put off for 'land survey' which seems more adult.. :cryss:

Mag options are ProMag .308 for like $30 or CSSpecs mags (Steel) for $45-50 (well worth it) followed by the SGM/Surfires.

Hope this helps..

Albert

awesome. no tapco mags? i love me some tapco.

dont get me wrong i love my american guns, but i have the M4 already that covers .223 pretty damn well. And an ACR or F2000 would be next on the list but those are priced wayyyy too high right now. so ill have to settle for russian. i already have a saiga 7.62 converted so i figure i have one of the best AK's on the market so im done with those. my goal now is to make a as-close-as-i-can-get Dragunov (Saiganov) from a .308. Then as close of a replica of a Galil as possible from the 5.56 chambered saiga, then if i still see nothing else i can afford or want, an ak-74 from the 5.45. of course im dreaming, this money simply isnt there. but maybe one day haha.

Edited by s2thalayer

I just converted my S308 and I love shooting that weapon. I used the Dinzag FCG made for the 308. I suggest

you get his 3/16 inch drill bits for those spot welds. I had a cobalt one from Lowes and it was a pain going

through the weld. I switched to one from Dinzag and it took half the effort. I have olive drab furniture on

it and really like the way it looks. I always have someone coming over to check it out when at the range.

I never really tried to see what MOA it can shoot but at 100 yards it can kill any man sized target easily.

Or in my case wild pigs at that distance.