Brass screw for mag latch pin

I lost a mag latch pin on my Saiga-12 -- replaced it with a piece of screwdriver shank but the diameter was a tad too small -- and then found a barely oversize brass screw that I thought might work.

It did -- after I reduced the head diameter and force screwed it (i.e. pushed real hard) through the bracket hole, latch hole, spring and then the opposite side holes for a nice tight fit. The screw is now more of a pin given the mashing of the tiny threads.

I'm sure that if I keep taking out* the new "screw/pin", it will loosen up, but for now it's tighter than the OEM pin. This may have the advantage of being harder to wiggle loose or lose but is there enough sheer force just using the latch hundreds of times to break the screw/pin????

* I took out the original pin to allow easier access for making (grinding and filing) a feed ramp. Sure helped feeding from Pro mags,Surefire mags and the 20-MD.

BTW I will be getting a few OEM pins from Carolina Shooters if they get them as represented, just in case this brass screw/pin doesn't keep a tight fit or breaks.

Edited by Judgemax