First Saiga Build (Restoration)

Finished my first build this week. I was leaning toward a classic build but ended up going with a modern styled handrail so I can mount a light in the near future. Project took a couple hours total. I'd still like to add an AK74 style muzzle break (dinzag variety) but am paranoid about threading the barrel. I may have a threaded barrel but won't know unless I got the cover off. Future project I guess...

Parts used:

Tapco G2 Trigger Group

K-Var Stock/Pistol Grip

SGM Tactical Forearm (very light and locked up nicely using only the sporting forearm mounts)

Chinese Surplus Mag

Nothing glorious about my build except that its my first...(We always remember our first...)

LTTP

• Like 1

...I did have a stepped chamber and added the round bullet guide.

I think you may be confused by what I meant by "stepped chamber". You really should read this thread to familiarize yourself with the "feature" I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with the bullet guide.

Your spent casings are the most obvious indicator one way or the other.

Thanks for clarifying, I learned something new tonight. I'll have to check when I bring it to the range. I put a few rounds through it before I did the restoration but didn't notice. Thanks for the info.

Here's my first conversion, I'm only waiting on some work on my Flash Hider to finish it up. I got lucky, I guess, seems I got all mil-spec features. dimples, handguard notches on barrel, no- stepped barrel, PG hole already cut, and threads under shroud.

Shes a March 09, which seems to have been a good month for Saigas in 7.62x39...

gallery_22253_427_22274.jpg

Here's my first conversion, I'm only waiting on some work on my Flash Hider to finish it up. I got lucky, I guess, seems I got all mil-spec features. dimples, handguard notches on barrel, no- stepped barrel, PG hole already cut, and threads under shroud.

gallery_22253_427_22274.jpg

Yeah, I'd say you definitely got lucky when it comes to a Saiga "sporter" rifle.

:D Here's my Russkie whore:

video250003420.jpg

video250004723.jpg

video250010203.jpg

She's a SGL21-62, with improvements made in the trigger group, pistol grip, magazine, and sling departments.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Well mine is a March 09, so maybe I'll have the same fortune as you. Hoping to get to the range this weekend and find out if I have the no-stepped barrel and sooner or later I'll man up and remove the cover to see if I have a threaded barrel.

RAA 07-09's had the majority stepped chamber. Most of the 10's have had threaded military barrels.

Latetotheparty:> could you show me a spent round?

Post:> have you had feed issues with your drum? I usually stay away from them for fear of Jamming.

Post:> have you had feed issues with your drum? I usually stay away from them for fear of Jamming.

Nope, I've had no problems of any kind with that drum.. runs perfectly. Of course, it's one of the original Chinese wind-up drums, so that may have something to do with reliability, (compared to the newer, similar Romanian made drums). :unsure:

Nope, I've had no problems of any kind with that drum.. runs perfectly. Of course, it's one of the original Chinese wind-up drums, so that may have something to do with reliability, (compared to the newer, similar Romanian made drums). :unsure:

I heard there is a South Korean version out there as well that is being sold as "European"....

I heard there is a South Korean version out there as well that is being sold as "European"....

That's news to me, but I know from personal experience that the South Korean gray 30-rnd AK mags are unimpressive.. for the reasons you mentioned; they're built from inferior materials.

The only wind-up 75-rnd AK drums I've used have been Chinese and Romanian. I have had no malfunctions of any kind with either. I imagine the Bulgarian drums are of good quality as well.