16" .308 recoil after installation of muzzle brake?

I just dropped my .308 off at a friends so he can perform the conversion and install a custom muzzle brake/flash suppressor, and was just wondering what I can expect recoil-wise when it's compete? Also, what about flash-wise? Thanks

Zachary

*BTW, I am the same guy as ZAF.308-I had to create a new account because I think my other one had a bug. It wouldn't let me change any profile settings.*

I just dropped my .308 off at a friends so he can perform the conversion and install a custom muzzle brake/flash suppressor, and was just wondering what I can expect recoil-wise when it's compete? Also, what about flash-wise? Thanks

Zachary

*BTW, I am the same guy as ZAF.308-I had to create a new account because I think my other one had a bug. It wouldn't let me change any profile settings.*

Recoil? What recoil? LOL J/K. It all depends on what brake you put on it... If you went to a PWS brake/flash hider then I believe that you will notice a difference......

People have to remember that a standard brake does not reduce recoil, it only reduces the climb of the muzzle.. There are brakes that reduce recoil but most are for muzzle climb.....

A recoil reduction brake has to push the gases backwards like the .50 cal brake......

Zachary

I installed the Dinzag AK 74 muzzle brake on my 16" .308. I had her at the range today and I noticed maybe 25% less recoil. The thing I noticed the most was reduction in muzzle rise. As for muzzle flash, others will have to chime in about that. This thing is a flame thrower!!

I must add this .308 is pretty darn accurate!! I was getting about 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards scoped and benched. This was using surplus ammo. As the barrel heated up the groups started to widen significantly. I am going to purchase some commercial ammo and see what results I get.

Edited by Bobriden1

Gunlover_2008 pardon my relative ignorance. I was under the impression that not only did a muzzle brake reduce barrel rise, but also helped a bit in recoil. The recoil isn't unbearable by any means, but a reduction in recoil would be nice combined with less flash. :up:

Bobriden1, the flash is pretty intense on these .308s. I never got pics of me shooting mine before the conversion/muzzle brake/flash supp, but when it's finished, I will try to post some pics :super:

Gunlover_2008 pardon my relative ignorance. I was under the impression that not only did a muzzle brake reduce barrel rise, but also helped a bit in recoil. The recoil isn't unbearable by any means, but a reduction in recoil would be nice combined with less flash. :up:

A lot of people have that impression, but in fact it only reduces the climb, this is why I stated the PWS, there are videos out there with a guy using one on a FA FAL, he shoots it 1 handed & is pretty impressive. PWS has done a good job on their brakes.

Hey I put them on because they make the rifle look cool... LOL

Let us know how it works out for you.....

What about the increase in noise? GARY N4KVE

I myself did not hear a noise increase. Of course I have ear protection. Now as for the people at the range on the side of me, they did not say anything about the loudness but they had ear protection on as well. But I have read the installation of a brake does increase the noise level.

I found this on Wikipedia about muzzle brake noise increase.

"Recorded noise levels (on certified audiological instruments) at the muzzle of a magnum or high velocity rifle with a muzzle break [sic] normally exceed 160 decibels. Permanent ear damage occurs at 120 decibels. If you read the fine print on the finest set of ear plugs and ear muffs available, you will find the total noise reduction only between 22 and 31 decibels. This means that on a rifle with a muzzle brake, even if you are wearing hearing protection, you are suffering permanent damage.

Measurements indicate that on a rifle a muzzle brake adds 5 to 10 dB to the normal noise level perceived by the shooter, increasing total noise levels up to 160 dB(A) +/- 3 dB.[

Huh? Did someone say something? :unsure:

Edited by Bobriden1

Let us know how it works out for you.....

Certainly will. Thanks for the info.:up:

I found this on Wikipedia about muzzle brake noise increase.

"Recorded noise levels (on certified audiological instruments) at the muzzle of a magnum or high velocity rifle with a muzzle break [sic] normally exceed 160 decibels. Permanent ear damage occurs at 120 decibels. If you read the fine print on the finest set of ear plugs and ear muffs available, you will find the total noise reduction only between 22 and 31 decibels. This means that on a rifle with a muzzle brake, even if you are wearing hearing protection, you are suffering permanent damage.

Measurements indicate that on a rifle a muzzle brake adds 5 to 10 dB to the normal noise level perceived by the shooter, increasing total noise levels up to 160 dB(A) +/- 3 dB.[

Huh? Did someone say something? :unsure:

Holy shit...that's loud. 160dB!?? Jesus :eek:

When I purchased my 308 a few years back, while my smith restored the gun, I had him shorten the barrel to 14 1/2" & permanently attach an AK74 style brake to = 16". It was probably a US copy with 14mm threads, so while it might not be as effective as the real deal, it makes the barrel 16" & has the AK look. My front site was pushed back to rest against the gas block, & the brake rests against the front site. There isn't much recoil, but shooting indoors on the 3 lane 25 yd range the noise is brutal, & it feels like someone is squeezing my chest after each shot. My Vector V51P isn't that loud. Real accurate though. GARY N4KVE