Cut shroud and went a little too deep

I finally got into cutting off my barrel shroud to fit on dinzags 1" MB, despite having everything I don't have a threaded barrel. I had to use a drimmel to get it back to the FSB and I apparently dug in a little to deep on one side, extremely upsetting. At least 1/2 of the barrel was untouched but the other side cut into the barrel, deeper than threads would be. I wouldn't worry about a little cut but it just deep enough to concern me. Is there anything I can do to fill in the cut a little like putting a few tack welds on it? Is there a safe amount of barrel or what do you think my next move should be? I would normally be ordering the threading kit by now

Edited by 922rToyota

I finally got into cutting off my barrel shroud to fit on dinzags 1" MB, despite having everything I don't have a threaded barrel. I had to use a drimmel to get it back to the FSB and I apparently dug in a little to deep on one side, extremely upsetting. At least 1/2 of the barrel was untouched but the other side cut into the barrel, deeper than threads would be. I wouldn't worry about a little cut but it just deep enough to concern me. Is there anything I can do to fill in the cut a little like putting a few tack welds on it? I didn't really want to remove the FSB and shorten the barrel yet but if the integrity of the barrel is compromised then I will. Is there a safe amount of barrel or what do you think my next move should be? I would normally be ordering the threading kit by now

If you have a 16" barrel you can not legally cut the barrel down. Welding the gouge is probably the best /cheapest, but it is possible to warp the barrel if you have a lot of welding on one side/section only. Maybe you should have it checked by a good gunsmith if you think it's that bad!

Really need pics to see if you killed it or not. I don't really see how anyone could go so deep and far around the bbl as to ruin it when cutting of that shroud. But anythings possible, I guess. I'd probably go ahead an thread it stick a FS on (not a brake due to extra stress) and shoot it (keeping your soft tissue somewhat protected JIC). I went in a bit deep on a 556 (has a bit more bbl meat - note to self quit before 1 am) and its been fine. Post a pic or two so we can get an idea of how deep and how far around the circumference you went.

So I talked to Dinzag, and he said it should not be any problem. He reminded me that the handguard retainer locking lever is much deeper and in a high pressure area and what I did is no problem at all. I still am not happy about it anyways but now I know I am not going to Elmer Fudd it up next time I go shoot.

Edited by 922rToyota
  • 5 weeks later...

i am about to this to mine, any quick suggestions on what to do and what not to do? what did you use to cut the shroud? i started with a little pipe cutter, and broke one, brought another pipe cutter to continue, but im thinking a dremel would be quicker, but more dangerous...

I free handed mine with my Dremel. But seeing the number of oops being reported here, you might want to give this a try. Find or make a felt polishing attachment that will slip over the mandrel of the cutter. Use that as a gauge and when it touches the shroud, call it quits for that part of the shroud. I'd work out the correct diameter of the gauge and grind it to size. I'd then open the center hole so it would spin on the mandrel. Remember this is only a help to prevent cutting too deep. Hell, I bet if someone had a lathe they could turn these out of plastic stock and sell 'em. If anyone makes a buck here, send me a beer.