Going with aftermarket stock

Yeah. An Ace skeleton stock, even with a folding mech, is sure as hell is NOT heavier than that all steel triangle folder.

It is, actually. All of the Ace stocks are heavy. I was trying to find the lightest stock a while back, and got figures from directly from Ace. The standard fixed stock and the Bulgarian triangle folders are the lightest AK stocks, from what I found.

Jim:> Bingo! You save over 4 oz with the triangle over the "lightest" Ace if memory serves. Good Call Jim.

Spetsnaz:> One of the tests I will do is a weight comparison, that way you can look on a chart and figure out these things with ease. I am broke right now, but in the next few months Ill have some cash to buy an ACE and put it through its paces...

Edited by bigsal
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wont get my panties in a bunch, I too have a job and it is the type that requires understanding the difference between then and than so $300 certainly isn't going to break (I also have to know the d

Imo, the Ace stocks and folding mechs work very well.   For the vast majority of Saiga owners, the major receiver modifications required to install the type of stock Sal so highly recommends are not

I have the same question...     the inability for the ace stock to store things is really not an issue for me.. if i am going to be out with the weapon for an extended period of time I have a pack,

Posted Images

Yeah. An Ace skeleton stock, even with a folding mech, is sure as hell is NOT heavier than that all steel triangle folder.

It is, actually. All of the Ace stocks are heavy. I was trying to find the lightest stock a while back, and got figures from directly from Ace. The standard fixed stock and the Bulgarian triangle folders are the lightest AK stocks, from what I found.

We keep hearing that Ace stocks are "heavy", and that the triangle steel stocks are lighter. While that may be technically true, (I don't know), if the difference is a few ounces it hardly matters. Both are lighter than the traditional AK wooden stocks which most people do not find "too heavy" for extended use. Hell, even African children make do with wooden stocks on their AKs.

If anyone has some actual figures on exactly how much the Ace stocks, (remember there are several different models), and the triangle folders weigh, it'd be a lot more useful than simply declaring that one is lighter than the other.

To be clear; I'm not "calling out out" here, Jim. ;) I'm simply using your post to make a point.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Jim:> Bingo! You save over 4 oz with the triangle over the "lightest" Ace if memory serves. Good Call Jim.

Here are the figures on a few of the Ace stocks:

- Ace Skeleton Stock with internal receiver block: 14.72 ounces

- Ace Six Position Stock with internal receiver block: 28 ounces

- Ace "Ultra-Lite" Stock with internal receiver block: 14.56 ounces.

I don't remember if I got figures from them on the others or not.

I've weighed the K-Var Warsaw-length unit at about 11.5 ounces. From a reputable source, I'm told that the triangle folder and trunnion together weigh 25 grams (just under an ounce) less than the Warsaw stock and trunnion.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Also, I think the fact that Ace stocks count as a 922r compliance part should not be overlooked. The more foreign furniture you use on your rifle, the more you must find other parts to swap out to remain compliant.

Personally, I'd rather use all US-made furniture so as to not have to dick around with changing the factory gas piston or mag followers/floorplates etc to remain compliant. I like to be able to use any AK mag in my rifle legally, no matter where its parts were manufactured.

ymmv.

I've weighed the K-Var Warsaw-length unit at about 11.5 ounces. From a reputable source, I'm told that the triangle folder and trunnion together weigh 25 grams (just under an ounce) less than the Warsaw stock and trunnion.

Looks to me that the internal receiver block is responsible for the majority of the weight difference between the Ace stocks and triangle folder, and that the stocks themselves would be more comparable in weight. Of course, an internal block is not necessary to use an Ace folder if you go the welded receiver backplate route....

Regardless, it's a few ounces, as I suspected. Imo that's pretty insignificant for a person in any kind of decent shape.

ymmv.

Ahh the fact-smack-down... I love it Jim. Anyway like I said the triangle saves about 4oz over the ace units. :super:

Post:> I suppose you do have a point; the only advantage the ACE units have is that they are an American part and count towards 922. But it seems like thats it. Nothing else. No other reason. Nadda. Zippo. Ziltch. Therefore, I think it is time for you and the other pro-ACE posters to officially concede the unit is not top shelf.

Ahh the fact-smack-down... I love it Jim. Anyway like I said the triangle saves about 4oz over the ace units. :super:

Post:> I suppose you do have a point; the only advantage the ACE units have is that they are an American part and count towards 922. But it seems like thats it. Nothing else. No other reason. Nadda. Zippo. Ziltch. Therefore, I think it is time for you and the other pro-ACE posters to officially concede the unit is not top shelf.

it is top shelf.. meaning it will last forever.. and is extremely durable.. it may not be the lightest.. but that only hatters if ounces matter to you.. again all people are built differently.. and I do not find the weapon too heavy to use.. on the contrary I actually find it to be just about perfect in weight and balance.. keep in mind I have the ace rail system as well maybe that is why it feels balanced.. I am sure that is heavier than traditional AK furniture..

to say it is not lighter is fair and can be proven..

to imply that the unit is not a "top shelf" part because it is not light enough for you, is not factual as that is an OPINION"

I'm not conceding anything. :D Like I said, it's only ~4oz lighter if you include an internal receiver block.. which is not necessary. Welding a backplate onto your receiver is no more work, (less work imo), than replacing the trunnion and cutting additional holes/slots into your receiver to accommodate the eastbloc triangle/poly folding hardware.

So, those figures are a good approximation.. but we're still not comparing apples to apples here.

Regardless, if ~4oz makes or breaks your rifle set-up, you really need to work out more, Sally. :haha:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

again all people are built differently..

I am a small guy... :haha:

Regardless, if ~4oz makes or breaks your rifle set-up, you really need to work out more, Sally. :haha:

I agree. I am a small guy.... :haha:

if you made the gun a little heavier carrying it around would build up those muscles.. LOL :lolol:

• Like 1