DIY'er- First Build NEED PROS HELP w/ Stock & Trigger MODS

Hey Guys,

I am about to start my first S12 Build next month, and I want to acquire the right parts and materials before I receive the S12. I want to basically move the trigger group forward using either the Tromix DIY bolt on kit, or some other billet trigger guard conversion that i dont have to hack up my receiver converting. Furthermore, I would like to use a ERGO or Hogue pistol grip.... I am unsure on whether I want to use the VLTOR M4 STYLE Buffer Tube f (http://store.carolin...7-STOCK/Detail) or the S12 or some similar version that folds as well. My whole goal is to be able to put a Magpul CTR or VLTOR EMOD Stock on it. I would like it to fold AND collapse, but i dont know if i need that or if it is a good function or purely for transportation reasons. I am thinking that the fixed collapsible maybe the way to go? i guess if i go with the VLTOR tube, i would only need that, and the stock, and the DIY trigger guard kit? i am not going to lie, i am originally an AR guy and recently purchased an AK and a S12 and have fallen in love with these "mistresses" ....

I saw that Mississippi Arms makes a Magpul kit with all the components, but its for the external system......I don't mind it much, but i dont like the looks of the external system...i guess the upside is that you dont have to hack anything off your s12? what should i use or do to accomplish what i want to do without destroying my s12?

does anyone specialize in doing the conversion that wont cost me a fortune to do if i decide to go the internal route and have to hack off the tang....? i know Tromix and Krebs...but im thinking it might be a little to costly and im not a moron so i could do the mods myself if documented well enough... i appreciate any help that i can get gentlemen! THANKS! :cheers:

also, what is a the best DIY parts for this? I dont mind spending the money for QUALITY parts.....

Edited by S3M1-4UT0 BURP

Just checkout the vendors on this form several do the work

i might just buy a drill press and attempt to do it myself....my concern is the drilling out of the rivets and pins.... cutting off the tang isnt a problem....then i guess i would need a rivet tool as well... ahh what i mess... i am stil considering sending it to a pro....

i might just buy a drill press and attempt to do it myself....my concern is the drilling out of the rivets and pins.... cutting off the tang isnt a problem....then i guess i would need a rivet tool as well... ahh what i mess... i am stil considering sending it to a pro....

It is not hard to do. 5 Rivets to drill out for the shotgun. You can call me if you have any questions and I will help you out.

Most go with one of the tubes that do not require the tang to be removed, but it will not fold.

• Like 1

It is not hard to do. 5 Rivets to drill out for the shotgun. You can call me if you have any questions and I will help you out.

Most go with one of the tubes that do not require the tang to be removed, but it will not fold.

thanks! so if i go with the vltor buffer tube for the saiga, is it required or should i move the trigger group forward? how are the kits that dont require the trigger group to be moved forward or tang to be cut off, compared to the kits that do? pros vs cons? if i move the tigger group forward, do i have to cut anything on the bottom of the receiver to move the TG forward? i think i read somewhere there is a template or something for where to drill? does that work?

• 5 weeks later...

The rivets on the trigger guard I prefer to use the cutting wheel of a dremel to remove, the rivets going through hammer and trigger should be drilled off with a cobalt drill tip, make sure to hold them with pliers from the inside to keep them from spinning when you drill.

There is a receiver block that is available from both CSS and Mississippi Arms that goes in the receiver after the tang has been cut off (use the cutting wheel for this too, then the sanding stone, then a course buffing wheel, its easy, the piece screws in the old trigger pin and hammer pin holes, it can take a folding mechanism or most stocks.

Working on SAIGAs is pretty easy and many including myself find it enjoyable and rewarding, don't short change yourself at a monetary cost, unless you are very short of time and extremely anal.

Edited by TARE

You don't need a drill press to convert, all you need is a dremel. A dremel will removes the rivets and pins as well as cut the tang. Some people actually do the conversion without a dremel at all.

Also that is an awesome offer from Greg. You should definitely check out his store. He's a good guy with pretty much everything for sale, not to mention he ships via Speedy Gonzalez.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • 4 months later...

Greg- i will be calling you to place an order soon for a BUNCH of S12 stuff.....appreciate it!

thanks for all the help guys, and thanks for the offer! ive done crap loads of research and downloaded countless how to guides and watched a bunch of smithing videos on the matter and i am very confident that if i can build a 10 sec sema car, i can tackle this....i think i was just confusing myself by bombarding myself with all this info and crap too soon....