S12 wooden AK setup

I've been too lazy to do all the gas tube / RSB work & the open tube look has grown on me.

I'll eventually get around to it & have all the parts & welders, just not the motivation.

I used Take-off stocks.

You can get them really cheap & make'em work.

I did a 2 week long process (drying time) with red mahogany to match my PG & I believe mine looks much better than the set from the UK.

MUCH cheaper too.

Done1.jpg

AllMags1.jpg

S-129mmtargets25yds.jpg

ETA my process...

I didn't expect PMs so quick.

Repost from a while ago...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22809&view=findpost&p=535029

To match my finish, Sand it all down to bare wood. Make sure there's no old color or varnish, or it' won't absorb the new.

Finish-sand it down last with at least 240 grit.

Then take Minwax Red Mohogany stain & put a really heavy coat on it, then let it hang & dry for a couple days Then softly wipe off the excess. Add another coat & let it dry at least a week. Buff it, removing the really, thick areas with the finest steel wool you can find.

Then get Minwax helmsman high gloss Spar Urethane in a spray can. Spray a rather heavy coat (but not enough to form drip marks) & let it dry for around 2 weeks....

S6300528.jpg

That's it.

This can be done with any condition, or mix & match takeoff stocks, being as you sand it to bare wood first.

Also, if you're concerned about it being shiny & not "tactically covert"... The Russian Takeoff stocks have 2 holes in the rear.

One has a spring & is for your cleaning kit. The trap-door on the plate lines up with it.

The other is exposed when you remove the but-stock's plate.

This hidden hole can be used to store course steel wool, to turn the gloss finish into matte in a couple minuets....

I'm sure I'll use your staining process, but I kind of like the look of the one from UK with the vented holes.....

• 3 months later...

Yeah I want one of those without vens

here's my ideal saiga 12 setup

1. tabuk like skeletonized dark teak stock for stamped receiver, (not yugo :-/)

2. dark teak saiga 12 sporter handguard, (like saigatech's picture on the bottom) with some strippling, and a gas tube rail

3. dark teak m92 style pistol grip.

4. pk-as or similar optic, if its not soviet then i'd want to wrinkle coat it that greyish color to match the paint that comes on pka's a

4. all the bells and whitstles, and match some of them to that same wrinkle coat, like the mag well.

anyone see a tabuk style stock for stamped receivers?