Dust cover w/ Rails?

TWS Dogleg if you want a good mount that is in the same place as one on the dust cover, peep sight optional.

TWS gen two will replace the dust cover which will allow the optic to sit lower. Here is a picture from ar15.com of the prototype that TWS posted:

4320744829_907b89ecfa_m.jpg

TWS Dogleg if you want a good mount that is in the same place as one on the dust cover, peep sight optional.

TWS gen two will replace the dust cover which will allow the optic to sit lower. Here is a picture from ar15.com of the prototype that TWS posted:

I'm gonna have to keep a lookout for that, looks like a solid setup. :smoke:

But yeah, current dust cover scope mounts are no good, too sloppy to keep a zero.. Once I get a couple hundred rounded up I'm going to invest in an ultimak and a PA micro red dot. For a normal scope, get a side mount. I like the ones from K-Var personally, they're solid and have a bit of a lower profile than some others I've seen but then again I haven't looked into side mount a whole lot.

Looks good but decided not to wait, for others is there going to be a sight option or is it standard.

Looks good but decided not to wait, for others is there going to be a sight option or is it standard.

No idea. From what has been posted over there, the guy is trying to get a patent on several things right now, so your guess is as good as mine what the final configuration will be.

No idea. From what has been posted over there, the guy is trying to get a patent on several things right now, so your guess is as good as mine what the final configuration will be.

Ok so they are still some ways from going into production. The Gen 1 is fine anyone would be happy with it.

Obviously currently available railed dustcovers are a bad way to go. As for the TWS dogleg rail and that gen 2 design... I don't like the fact that you lose working iron sights as a trade-off. That's a significant (and unwise) sacrifice and not one I'm willing to make, considering the side-rail mounting options, (some quite low), that are available.

I also wouldn't want to replace my mil-spec dust cover, (standard on Legion Saigas), for an aftermarket one that wouldn't match the rest of the rifle as well. I don't know why more people can't just use the side-rail to mount optics.. that's what it's there for. :rolleyes:

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Obviously currently available railed dustcovers are a bad way to go. As for the TWS dogleg rail and that gen 2 design... I don't like the fact that you lose working iron sights as a trade-off. That's a significant (and unwise) sacrifice and not one I'm willing to make, considering the side-rail mounting options, (some quite low), that are available.

I also wouldn't want to replace my mil-spec dust cover, (standard on Legion Saigas), for an aftermarket one that wouldn't match the rest of the rifle as well. I don't know why more people can't just use the side-rail to mount optics.. that's what it's there for. :rolleyes:

ymmv.

Ah Post, haven't I ever told you that when you assume something you make an ass out of U and Me....

They will ship with back-up irons, likely these:

4275184335_9690469319_m.jpg

4275184069_8c1546fbc7_m.jpg

However I am sure there will be other options as well. The key to the Gen 2, and indeed the determining factor for me to give it the coveted BigSal Thumbs-up, is its ability to sit low enough to achieve cowitness with the front iron and whatever back-up sight it ships with... For now, we must wait and see...

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

ymmv.

Ah Post, haven't I ever told you that when you assume something you make an ass out of U and Me....

They will ship with back-up irons...

However I am sure there will be other options as well. The key to the Gen 2, and indeed the determining factor for me to give it the coveted BigSal Thumbs-up, is its ability to sit low enough to achieve cowitness with the front iron and whatever back-up sight it ships with... For now, we must wait and see...

Well, we're both making assumptions on this subject. There's not a lot of definitive info available for the gen 2 TWS product.

Regardless, it still looks like a (fairly expensive) solution in search of a problem to me. It makes a helluva lot more sense to use a product like that on a rifle that doesn't have a side-rail.

To each his own, but I currently have working iron sights and a solid method to mount optics and no aftermarket parts were necessary. So, rather than trying to "fix" what ain't broke, I'd much rather spend my money on ammo. ;)

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

ymmv.

They will ship with back-up irons...

Well, we're both making assumptions on this subject. There's not a lot of definitive info available for the gen 2 TWS product.

Regardless, it still looks like a (fairly expensive) solution in search of a problem to me. It makes a helluva lot more sense to use a product like that on a rifle that doesn't have a side-rail.

To each his own, but I currently have working iron sights and a solid method to mount optics and no aftermarket parts were necessary. So, rather than trying to "fix" what ain't broke, I'd much rather spend my money on ammo. ;)

ymmv.

Well ideally if the Gen 2 is made of aluminum it will not weigh much more than the original cover. If you remove the side rail, you may actually gain some weight advantage with this unit. But, this is all speculation at this point.

Im more interested in the Dogleg for my 308 than the x39 since they fill different roles for me aside from both being excellent MBRs. I do need a good scope on the S308 for hunting or long distance shooting and to be able to increase my iron's sight radius and have it be a peep sight is just perfect. I would never strip the irons from any rifle I intend to put to more use than target shooting. I have used everything from a scout configuration(on the x39) to side mounts and this Dogleg just puts them all in the dust bin. BTW I did like the Scout setup for shooting but not for lugging around seems it was finding a way to snag on every branch.

Yes its expensive but if it ever came down to needing an MBR what difference would that make?