Shell caught and cut on extractor "ramp"

I finally got my Saiga cycling properly. However, every once in a while a shell will catch on the ramp in the barrel for the extractor. The shell will wedge up against it and actually cut the lip of the shell. The round will be wedged in there pretty good.

I'm thinking a little rounding of the area from the inside of the barrel should help fix this, but before I started grinding on the barrel, I thought I'd ask if there are any other thoughts on this issue.

Thanks again in advance.

RJ

Sounds like a FTF issue.

If the mag hiccups & the shell takes an extra instant to raise, not enough of the rear of the shell is pushed by the bolt & instead of sliding into battery, the rear kicks down, the front kicks up & you get the jam you experienced...

(did that come out right to make sense?)

I have seen people weld steel on the top to make a "guide" to stop this possibility, but ever since I tuned all my mags to perfection, I have never had that issue again.

ETA;

Never-mind, you're not kicking up the high way... Sorry, mis-read.

Is it hanging up in the extractor slot?

Many of us smooth that out too.

Helps with cycling. Just smooth a touch though... not too much.

Is this your issue? If so, here's a fix...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51368

Edited by Paulyski

my gun had the same problem on the bottom slot and the top slot rounded both, also the lip that stops the shell in barrel was causing ftf's sanded that some . then polished inside of barrel where the shell goes in

Edited by jmich

Thanks guys, I did that this morning. I will go out and shoot it a bit on Saturday, to see if it helped. By hand, it feels a lot better.

jmich.....are you going to be at the Livingston Gun Club on Sunday for their Shotgun Only Match? I just heard about it and I'm trying to make arrangements to get there. However I'll be tight on time that morning.

Sounds like a FTF issue.

If the mag hiccups & the shell takes an extra instant to raise, not enough of the rear of the shell is pushed by the bolt & instead of sliding into battery, the rear kicks down, the front kicks up & you get the jam you experienced...

I have seen people weld steel on the top to make a "guide" to stop this possibility, but ever since I tuned all my mags to perfection, I have never had that issue again.

Where exactly is the steel "guide" welded? I'm interested in doing a fix like that to correct the FTF you are describing.

Thanks.

Sounds like a FTF issue.

Where exactly is the steel "guide" welded? I'm interested in doing a fix like that to correct the FTF you are describing.

Thanks.

You shouldn't need to do that fix. The guide he is talking about is: look through the mag well with the bolt pulled back, that part right there is the guide. You would weld more on the back side to make it longer so that the shell won't get stuck on the back side of the "barrel or guide".

i have the same issue with one of my 12 rounders, the follower tilts down and causes the shell to pop up. theres a fix with the mags to add plastic on the follower so it doesn't tilt as much. i'll find the thread and tell you what page its on http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56687

Edited by jmich

Thnaks Racer27. Why do you not recommends the fix?

Because of what jmich helped you with. I would hate to see someone potentiality ruin a big part of a gun when there is a "simple" fix for it. I had it happen on some 15 round mag I built and to fix it I used the AGP mag spring instead of the surefire. I haven't done the fix that jmich found for you yet but I will when ever I get some spare time.