Bullet guide: drill and tap vs. drill and bolt?

Having completed the pistol grip conversion on my .223, I'm ready to tackle the bullet guide. From reading the various threads on bullet guides, I've gathered that there are two generally accepted ways of doing it (short of welding): drill and tap the trunnion and then screw the bullet guide in place, or drill all the way through the trunnion and bolt it in place.

I'm leaning towards the bolt method, since I don't have any experience tapping. I also don't have a drill press (but I do have a steady hand), and it seems like that method might be more forgiving of a slightly off-angle hole.

Having not found any specific directions for doing it this way, it seems like it would go like this: I need a countersunk bolt, a lock washer, and a nut, all in the proper size; drill through the trunnion, stick my bolt through the guide and trunnion, get my lock washer and nut into place, and hold them there while I tighten everything down from above. Sound right?

Input much appreciated!

Having completed the pistol grip conversion on my .223, I'm ready to tackle the bullet guide. From reading the various threads on bullet guides, I've gathered that there are two generally accepted ways of doing it (short of welding): drill and tap the trunnion and then screw the bullet guide in place, or drill all the way through the trunnion and bolt it in place.

I'm leaning towards the bolt method, since I don't have any experience tapping. I also don't have a drill press (but I do have a steady hand), and it seems like that method might be more forgiving of a slightly off-angle hole.

Having not found any specific directions for doing it this way, it seems like it would go like this: I need a countersunk bolt, a lock washer, and a nut, all in the proper size; drill through the trunnion, stick my bolt through the guide and trunnion, get my lock washer and nut into place, and hold them there while I tighten everything down from above. Sound right?

Input much appreciated!

I used the drill and tap method. Ive never had any experience drilling or tapping either. I ended up braking my first tap that I got from CSS. Went down to one of the local hardware stores and bought a second tap with some cutting oil and it seemed to go 100% easier. I did also have a drill press but know that it can be done by hand. Here is a link for some instructions, its what I studied. http://www.dinzagarm.../bg_install.pdf

Good luck

Edited by AZG

i just did my 5.45 last night.used some thread cutting oil,the supplied drill bit and tap.just used a pair of pliers to turn the tap.it went quick with no probs.the only other thing is i had do grind a little of the bg here and there so my mags would seat correctly.overall it was fairly quick and easy.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I think I'll go with tapping initially, and keep bolting as a backup option.

Its not that hard to drill and tap. Just remember lots of rapid tap and take it slow. I go a half to three quarter turn and back out the shavings.

Where's a good type of brick-and-mortar place to get Rapid Tap, or other cutting oil? I asked about cutting oil at the local Lowes and got lots of blank stares (Rem Oil seemed to work pretty well in lieu of that for the PG conversion). I realize a Mom-and-Pop hardware store might be more helpful for a specialty item like that, but such stores have pretty well disappeared around here.

If you go with the tap method Lowes sells the taps for about $5.

Also get some type of TAP handle for it.. Sears make a tall screw driver type I hear that works great.

I'm getting the bullet guide kit plus tap handle from Dinzag. He earned another loyal customer :up: when he sold me my PG conversion parts.

I don't have any problems with bullet feeding in my currently unconverted 7.62 X 39. However, converting it may cause the issue to raise it's head (although at this time, I don't see how).

But, I plan to add the bullet guide anyway, as a preventative. I do plan though (after checking thoroughly with the experts), to simply enlarge the bullet guide hole, and instead of drilling and tapping, simply weld the guide in, keeping the weld totally inside the hole. That would eliminate any protruding bolt-head metal having to be removed.

PJJ

• 4 weeks later...

I've always done the drill and tap. I've also always made my own bullet guides, which I'm going to stop doing as they are more of a pain in the ass then they are worth. Drill and tap is still the way to go. You can always overdrill and bolt if you mess the threads up, or move up to an 8-32 screw. I've been using filed down and counter sunk 8-32's for a while now. I'm sure it's all in my head, but the 8-32 route just seems to be a bit more robust to me.

• 5 weeks later...

it sounds intimidating, but drilling and tapping is completely simple. drill the hole, slowly tap it. should be done in less than 10 minutes. take your time, watch what you are doing. you can screw it up.

Not to come down on ya'll saying it was a simple deal.....I am mechanically inclined and have made taps on lots of stuff. Mine was a BITCH to drill and ended up breaking 3-4 bits, the tap snapped even using oil. I ended up busting it out with a punch, re-drilling it a little bigger, I bolted mine with a short 8/32 bolt, thread locked it AND added a touch of JB weld to the nut, as well as under the guide.

I had a receiver that was made from a secret lab, blessed by the pope and handcrafted by Ninja's :lolol: I was using highend bits too....

SO far I spit about 800 rounds through her and not one issue yet :super:

I drilled mine with a hand drill (rifle was in a vice) and was very careful to keep square. Tapped it using the kit that I got from Dinzag, who sold me my bullet guide. As others have said, go slow tapping, lots of oil. And when I say slow, I meant turn the tap about a half/one complete turn or so, then back it out some, then another half/complete turn or so.

Dinzag has great stuff, and if memory serves, some tutorials on tapping. Excellent customer service, too. A search here might yield more info as well.

You can do it--I did it, so it can't be too hard.